• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Grundig 800 Satellit

Apr 5, 2009
I'm looking to find an alternative portable (as big as this one is ...it ain't that portable!)that is equivalent to this radio. Any ideas? I travel frequently in the eastern US and like to check out radio from my motel room using a small wire antenna.

Thanks!!(y)

I gave my Mom a Radio Shack DX version of the Sangean.

Pretty good radio, got it at a pawn shop for 20$.

Hmmmm well the 800 used to be the top of the line portable (that ain't so portable) I know what you mean - it is big.

But you said you wanted an equivalent. I don't think there is one. All I know of is the one that "replaced" it and it is better and the current best available and even they were just recently discontinued, but you can easily find them.

Eton E1 XM

The Sangean 909 IS a very good radio, but it will be the next step down and not quite an equivalent like you asked for.

Last edited:
I gave my Mom a Radio Shack DX version of the Sangean.

Pretty good radio, got it at a pawn shop for 20$.

Which would be the DX-398 same one I have great little radio too,man you got a good deal on that one I paid $100 for mine used which also isn't too bad either considering the quality of the radio.

I've had mine now for around 4 years I think I also ended up getting the father inlaw one he loves it.

I'm looking to find an alternative portable (as big as this one is ...it ain't that portable!)that is equivalent to this radio. Any ideas? I travel frequently in the eastern US and like to check out radio from my motel room using a small wire antenna.

Thanks!!(y)

Look on ebay for a realistic DX-440, Those radios might be a little old but they hold their own against newer radio's

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.