• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ham Chat

keystone990

Jan 25, 2012
Indiana, PA
www.indidata.net
So I am a newly licensed Ham and over the course of the last few weeks I have been searching for a live chat where I could talk to other hams and maybe arrange QSOs etc. but found none except for IIRC.

Being I am a programmer by trade, I threw together a live chat script on my website. I hope this sort of thing is not frowned upon on these forums but I am inviting all who might be interested to check it out.

My website is My Ham Radio Adventures and there is a link for the chat. You can also read about my adventures as a new ham while you are there.

I do not know if this is anything that hams would be interested in but I am so let's see where it goes.

Thank you for your time,

Clark

Reactions: 1 person

When I was a new ham I chatted with people on ham radio. That was the whole point of getting the license.

Why do you want to "arrange" QSO's? Get on the air like those of us before you did and call CQ. That's how you learn to make contacts. It's fun. Really it is.

I'd spend hours and sometimes stay up all night calling CQ and chatting with hams on 80m CW. It was addicting and you never knew where the next call would come from. If you have a radio give it a try. Ooops I almost forgot there's no code requirement now. Doesn't matter...get on 10 meters and call CQ for a while. :D

Last edited:
My call is KB3YEU. I signed up for this forum before I got my license.

I just thought it would be a nice mix of technologies. You are right there are no code requirements but I am eager to learn CW and have even hijacked a mouse and turned into a CW key hooked up to my 897D. Works like a charm.

Yes the point of talking on the radio is to talk on the radio. Why talk on the phone when we could use radio. Why use the internet when we could use a library. Why use email when we could send snail mail.

Clark

Hello Mike, your only 35 miles RF wise from me to the south.
I work a lot of 2 meter side band and could hear you i'm sure and just got my 432 SSB system running.
On monday nites, the radio club Pakratts does a net starting on 6 meter going all the way to 1296 and beyond if anyone wants.
Get their website up and see the times for each band.
If you have 6m SSB, sign in when they call for checkins and listen to how it goes and follow suit with your contact when your turn come up..
On sunday mornings a 2m SSB net runs about 10:30 am from right accross the line from you in NJ. on 144.250 +/-.
As you know you have SSB voice use from 28.300 to 28.500 on 10m and anything on 6m up.
To see the relitive band plans, download the info from the ARRL website
If you have an HF radio with 6m in it, you can begin there until that band come in late next month for contesting week end and long distance DX until into Aug..
Sometime you will need to consider antennas for the bands you want to work on. From 10m up the antennas get smaller and smaller.
You get out what you put in otherwise no one knows your there.
Like anything else today, there can be some trying times that don't meet up with your expectations but ignor that part and go after what you like.
Good luck and welcome to Ham radio.
73 Ken. BTW I got your info from QRZ.COM by inputting your call.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.