• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HAM exam questions??

I've been licensed for 20 plus years. The biggest thing I see is that the testing has to stop being used as an initiation into a fraternity. The exam needs to be relevant to the state of the hobby and change as the hobby changes. This does not require " dumbing it down" either.

I've been licensed for 20 plus years. The biggest thing I see is that the testing has to stop being used as an initiation into a fraternity. The exam needs to be relevant to the state of the hobby and change as the hobby changes. This does not require " dumbing it down" either.

Hutch, I like your comment. This is exactly how I am feeling about this process.

Mike, download this: ExHAMiner
Then download this: Basic Qualification - English(2010 01)
This is official RAC self-test program for candidates to the Canadian Basic Amateur Radio certification. Good luck.

Thanks Ed, started going though this self test, I liked it. But, half-way through, I didn't want to just memorize the answers (although, explanations are provided) I did a quick search and this Toronto site is jam packed with additional study material. Thought I would post the link here as well for those in the future who come across this thread;

Online Basic Amateur Radio Course

I would be a ham in a minute if it did not require learning all that radio tech....bump that....I just enjoy having conversations on the radio...don't care to know how it all works.......I downloaded the question pool off qrz and and thought....why do I need to learn all this to do what I have been doing already since the 1970s....just key up the mic and talk to friends and strangers....all that unnecessary crap is probably just a barrier. jmho

Why did I have to study quadratic equations in high school when I will never use it? Why did I have to learn about ancient history as well? Why did I have to learn about a lot of things that seems irrelevant at the time? Oh wait, now I remember why. To be better prepared for the future. Yeah that's it. Just like the miniscule amount of tech knowledge required for the ham exam. Yes that's right MINISCULE amount. Anyone that wants a license to run 1500 watts, or in Canada it's 2250 watts, should be able to understand a few things about what happens to make that power and what happens once that power hits the antenna. Sure you can say you will never run that much power but the fact remains that you are able to with an entry level license. At the very least it's called being a responsible operator. I personally think there should be more electronics knowledge required to reflect the potential of the license. Perhaps there should be a very basic license with very basic privileges like a lot of countries like Australia and the UK have. Very basic tests and only something like 10 watts on HF I believe it is. More privileges would require more knowledge but that would actually force someone to actually work for something instead of being handed something for nothing. Those are my feelings and I am sure they pissed someone off but that was not the intent. I'm just tired of hearing all the new guys bitching about things being so hard today and all they want to do is talk. You have NO idea what a hard amateur exam is all about. The fact you don't have to build your own gear today in no way means that you don't have the privilege to build it once you get your ticket. That brings us back around to a very basic entry level class again with something like 50 watts VHF and 10 watts HF. YMMV.

:pop:

I would be a ham in a minute if it did not require learning all that radio tech....don't care to know how it all works....all that unnecessary crap is probably just a barrier. jmho

:LOL:,.............. I was waiting for someone to "tell it how it really is";)

hopefully, Mike will enjoy his stay on 11 meters

....all that unnecessary crap is probably just a barrier. jmho

A lot of that 'unnecessary crap' can keep you out of trouble...like knowing what portion of a particular band your license allows you to transmit in, the band edges, power limitations, etc. In all honesty, the Tech license is not that difficult to obtain. The majority of it is nothing more than basic operating practices. The General is pretty redundant with the exception of a little more focus on basic electronics and antennas. 99% of those exams is just plain common sense and good operating practices. Questions about tube equipment or CW may come up, but they are a very small portion of the overall exam. It wasn't until the Extra exam that I actually had to dedicate some time to study. and I aced that test with 100%. BTW - I don't do well on tests so if I can pass the tests I don't see why anyone else can't with a little effort. If the tests appear to be a barrier it's my opinion that those barriers are self induced.

I would be a ham in a minute if it did not require learning all that radio tech....bump that....I just enjoy having conversations on the radio...don't care to know how it all works.......I downloaded the question pool off qrz and and thought....why do I need to learn all this to do what I have been doing already since the 1970s....just key up the mic and talk to friends and strangers....all that unnecessary crap is probably just a barrier. jmho
Oh boy :rolleyes: :headbang That's what the freeband is for.
Why did I have to study quadratic equations in high school when I will never use it? Why did I have to learn about ancient history as well? Why did I have to learn about a lot of things that seems irrelevant at the time? Oh wait, now I remember why. To be better prepared for the future. Yeah that's it. Just like the miniscule amount of tech knowledge required for the ham exam. Yes that's right MINISCULE amount. Anyone that wants a license to run 1500 watts, or in Canada it's 2250 watts, should be able to understand a few things about what happens to make that power and what happens once that power hits the antenna. Sure you can say you will never run that much power but the fact remains that you are able to with an entry level license. At the very least it's called being a responsible operator. I personally think there should be more electronics knowledge required to reflect the potential of the license. Perhaps there should be a very basic license with very basic privileges like a lot of countries like Australia and the UK have. Very basic tests and only something like 10 watts on HF I believe it is. More privileges would require more knowledge but that would actually force someone to actually work for something instead of being handed something for nothing. Those are my feelings and I am sure they pissed someone off but that was not the intent. I'm just tired of hearing all the new guys bitching about things being so hard today and all they want to do is talk. You have NO idea what a hard amateur exam is all about. The fact you don't have to build your own gear today in no way means that you don't have the privilege to build it once you get your ticket. That brings us back around to a very basic entry level class again with something like 50 watts VHF and 10 watts HF. YMMV. :pop:
Well and cogently said.
Another aspect is that the ITU considers amateur radio a service. This service is designed to provide a trained cadre of technically competent citizens qualified in the art and science of radio. This "cadre" provides the feeders for the engineering professions. Another aspect is that amateur radio is called the Amateur Experimental Service with the emphasis on experimental. Historically, hams have built their own radios, both receivers and transmitters from scratch. Most, if not all radio discoveries and innovation came from hams. Finally, it is desirable to have a good understanding of how you radio works and operates. It is desirable to understand how antennas operate, and how to build them.

If these reasons are unsatisfactory to you, then you will not be welcome on he ham bands. We already have too many "appliance" operators and technical "lids" as it is,. We don't need more, sorry.

Well, what an interesting read. I just wrote my exam here in Canada and with a little help from a class I took, offered by my local ham radio club, I am happy to report that I passed with enough marks to allow me to use all bands.

All of the questions posted at the beginning of this thread were on my test. I wondered at first why I would need such information. But soon came to the conclusion that knowlage is power. After a couple of classes I had enough infomation to go home and fix on of my radios. For me getting there is half the fun.

Canadian Amateur Radio Basic Qualification Study Guide
Coax Publications Inc
All the info you will ever need to pass your test. Good luck!

Oh boy :rolleyes: :headbang That's what the freeband is for. Well and cogently said.
Another aspect is that the ITU considers amateur radio a service. This service is designed to provide a trained cadre of technically competent citizens qualified in the art and science of radio. This "cadre" provides the feeders for the engineering professions. Another aspect is that amateur radio is called the Amateur Experimental Service with the emphasis on experimental. Historically, hams have built their own radios, both receivers and transmitters from scratch. Most, if not all radio discoveries and innovation came from hams. Finally, it is desirable to have a good understanding of how you radio works and operates. It is desirable to understand how antennas operate, and how to build them.

If these reasons are unsatisfactory to you, then you will not be welcome on he ham bands. We already have too many "appliance" operators and technical "lids" as it is,. We don't need more, sorry.

Pretty good post, but the appliance operator, I would be a little more forgiving about. We all are appliance operators to an extent, as there are alot of things you simply can not repair on the newer stuff.

Pretty good post, but the appliance operator, I would be a little more forgiving about. We all are appliance operators to an extent, as there are alot of things you simply can not repair on the newer stuff.

I understand where ed,VA3ES, is coming from when he mentions appliance operators.That term not only means one who simply operates his gear and does not have the knowledge to repair it but also applies to those who have no idea HOW to operate their radio gear properly. You know,just like an appliance. You plug it in and turn it on and that's it. I just want to :headbangevery time I hear someone on the air or post in a forum what the PBT knob does on his radio he has had for a couple years.Even better is the guy that can't seem to understand why his buddy is 20 over 9 on the repeater but he is scratchy and dropping out. Then there are the ones that want to wire up the D104 or the Turner +3 to their 2m radio. Not being able to repair the radio is only part of the appliance operator and it's not really all that bad. What IS bad is the not understanding how to OPERATE the radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.