• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ham mic wiring

longhaireddwb

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
A friend of mine just picked up a Kenwood TS520S. It didn't come with a microphone. He doesn't want to fry anything so he needs to know what kind of mic he can use and how to wire the mic properly. He's a CBer and he's working on getting his Ham Ticket. He wants to plug in his Astatic 636L into the radio but I told him to wait! He still needs to put up an antenna so he's not ready but very excited.

So here's some questions:
Mic type
Mic Wiring
will it receive without a mic plugged in
Will it work with repeaters as in having tones

I think he over his head but he just had to have it. It was a family members radio so it was next to free.

Help out a guy help out a newbe:D

You can download a manual for the radio from several places on the internet. That will show what the radio needs. Then you'll need a matching plug for the mike cable, with the proper connections made.

New guys should never get a radio without getting the proper manual along with it. Not necessarily from the same source, but the manual is going to be vital in answering questions just like this one.

D-104 works well.

Receives without mic.

No setup for repeater operation.

Great radio if you know how to use it. Get the manual and READ IT!
Keep the heater turned off til he knows how to use it and has his ticket.
Tell him to keep his fingers out of it. The High Voltage WILL kill him!!!

PR

tell your friend that the wiring for the ts-520 is audio on pin 1, ptt on pin 2, and shield on pin 4. if it's a 6 wire mic, it'll be white on pin 1 black on pin 2 blue on pin 3 and shield on pin 4. if it keys as soon as he plugs it in, switch the black for the red. I hope this helps.
mike

P.S. These folks are right about the RF. this is a tube final radio, and as such carries a lot of voltage on top of the tubes. also one of the mic pins on the radio has 120 volts on it. This is not a problem as long as you are aware if it, and treat it with respect. I have a 520 hooked up right now and really like it. Those old tube sets will keep you warm in the winter. LOL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.