• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hams are "bad", CBers are "bad", misinformation is common

C W Morse

Apr 3, 2005
Retired
"...............did not intend to pick a fight with you. I intended to give advice to ****, who started the post.
Yes I am too lazy to take the test, and I have a long list of things that I find are more entertaining and more important to me than a HAM test. Taking the test would further obligate me to not do some of the radio things that I do, and I'm just not interested in following those rules or laws. Perhaps I might in the future, if I would happen to develop an interest in it, but for now I find it kinda boring.
I am not too stupid to pass the test, I have experience that includes a background in electronics, and I have a career that is much more technical and challenging than a HAM test, so intelligence and fear of the lack therof is not the issue. ..........."(quote)

This was sent to me by friend that can access a-shall-we-say certain website that not only cannot STAND truth, but helps to promote misinformation. I cannot access that site.:unsure: I can only get as far as the "clown" (wink wink) ;)

The poster goes on to say that "the ham 'channels' don't get used very often, the tests can be ace-d by an 8 y/o (He hasn't seen the Extra exam, nor would he stand a chance with the old "ADVANCED" test :LOL:. He also stated that. Yeah, yeah, the "ham channels" are dying......yada yada... None of which is true! And he continues with the old diatribe about "ham police" .

This is typical pablum found on websites by people have no idea about with they are talking, and only serves to INCREASE the tension between hams and CBers. The above post, or others like it, then get used by the hams to then mock and ridicule CB operators.

Yes, following along with the post, he seems to imply that hams are less competent nor have abilities far exceeding electronics. I know hams who are MILLIONAIRES (such as the one that made his living in industrial computers and controls) and BOUGHT an old NASA "spy" station in the NC mountains, turning it into an astronomy camp for kids. (y) Many are pilots, engineers, municipal officers, accountants, corporate officers. Yes, I take offense at his slap at ham radio, but the post is designed to show the rift and, I suppose, jealousy between the two groups. For the most part, the hams don't CARE what CB folks do ON CB! Yeah, I know, some of them will run around reporting Ebay auctions, but not all. Some will report people for "freebanding", etc. A good bit of that comes from people who show up where they don't belong (on the ham bands), and they get mad and "get even". And, finally, many hams, since they actually followed the law in obtaining their ticket, get resentful about the amplifiers, the export radios, and the "freebanding", and the outlaw types use CB radio as a "competing" service to amateur radio. IOW, they experience no pain , and get away with snubbing their noses at laws.

So it goes on and on and on...................*(sigh)

CWM

not again?:headbang

I would agree with this, while it may not be your intention, publicizing the post only furthers the exposure.

Personally I enjoy having one leg on both sides of the fence, I do not however enjoy the attitudes, however like anything else in life you have the GBU in all walks, and thats not just at the radio folks...

well, i know quite a bit of hams that came from cb, it doesn't make them any less of an operator. I didn't come from cb but i use one. As far as hams being better..... there have been times when iv'e had to change bands due to the language on 75/80 mtrs. when the harmonics are in the truck. I know people from both sides that can't even build a simple dipole let alone repair or build an amplifier. I really don't understand the rift between, we are all radio operators with varying degrees of knowledge. remember there were lots of people that laughed at marconi and his ideas.

well, i know quite a bit of hams that came from cb, it doesn't make them any less of an operator. I didn't come from cb but i use one. As far as hams being better..... there have been times when iv'e had to change bands due to the language on 75/80 mtrs. when the harmonics are in the truck. I know people from both sides that can't even build a simple dipole let alone repair or build an amplifier. I really don't understand the rift between, we are all radio operators with varying degrees of knowledge. remember there were lots of people that laughed at marconi and his ideas.

Very Well Put...
:D:D:D

One of the problems with ham radio is that its (at times) hostile to outsiders.
By outsiders, I mean licensed ham, but new (or infrequent user) to a particular frequency or repeater.

Some hams want to hear callsigns right away if they dont recognize the voice. And if they recognize the voice, somehow the station seems to be exempt from identifying.
§97.119 says station must identify every ten minutes and at the end. Doesnt say anything about the beginning of transmission, but some hams think it does i guess. And this gives a hostile impression to new users.

The other item is repeaters. on VHF/UHF you are at the mercy of the control operators when using a repeater. Often control operators turn off repeater when they dont like whats being said, even though there are no rules violation. Its their equipment, but the frequency belongs to everybody. So guess what: when you turn the repeater off, the frequency is restored to use by everybody. This is what gives HF the advantage: no control operator who gets his panties in a bunch.

This is the allure of 11 meters: everybody is accepted as equals, even voices you dont recognize. Nobody sitting on a kill switch like on vhf/uhf repeaters.

Some hams want to hear callsigns right away if they dont recognize the voice. And if they recognize the voice, somehow the station seems to be exempt from identifying.
§97.119 says station must identify every ten minutes and at the end. Doesnt say anything about the beginning of transmission, but some hams think it does i guess. And this gives a hostile impression to new users.

True but common sense and common courtesy would dictate that you "introduce" yourself at the beginning of a meeting.Those that do not ID at the beginning and want to use 97.119 simply as an excuse not too are just plain silly and looking for an arguement IMO.

I would think that giving a callsign would be a matter of just plain courtesy with or without the law. When you pick up the phone to talk, especially with a business who may not know you, do you just start talking, or would you say, "Hi, this Jimmy, I wonder if you could tell me, etc......". IMHO, you should give a call in the beginning, at the required intervals, then at that the end of the QSO.

K4CAR, this is KD9XXX (could even use the word "over" if you wanted to follow military protocol)

"This IS K4CAR, HI Bill......................."

Then sign out at the end.

Just sounds like common sense to me. (y)

CWM

The other item is repeaters. on VHF/UHF you are at the mercy of the control operators when using a repeater. Often control operators turn off repeater when they dont like whats being said, even though there are no rules violation. Its their equipment, but the frequency belongs to everybody. So guess what: when you turn the repeater off, the frequency is restored to use by everybody. This is what gives HF the advantage: no control operator who gets his panties in a bunch.

This is the allure of 11 meters: everybody is accepted as equals, even voices you dont recognize. Nobody sitting on a kill switch like on vhf/uhf repeaters.

The problem with 11 meters are the people using amps when they are illegal. When conditions are right a few people can make quite a few channels unusable to anyone attempting to use the channel for it intended use, short distance communication.

The problem with 11 meters are the people using amps when they are illegal. When conditions are right a few people can make quite a few channels unusable to anyone attempting to use the channel for it intended use, short distance communication.

To knowingly transmit on 11 meters when conditions are 'right' is in itself illegal with or without the use of an amplifier.

To knowingly transmit on 11 meters when conditions are 'right' is in itself illegal with or without the use of an amplifier.

It can be done without the amp, but not without the right antenna as I found out when I replaced my rat shack base antenna with an Imax 2000 and a bone stock Galaxy 979. I can about imagine what would happen with a Maco Comet or another directional antenna

It can be done without the amp, but not without the right antenna as I found out when I replaced my rat shack base antenna with an Imax 2000 and a bone stock Galaxy 979. I can about imagine what would happen with a Maco Comet or another directional antenna

Any antenna no matter how poor can work DX. I worked 3B9C on Rodrigues Island on 20m from my 100 watt mobile with a crappy Hamstick mobile antenna and it was long path at the time,15,000 miles on a crappy antenna. I have also worked into South Africa from my mobile on 10m and worked mobile to mobile into Luxor Egypt. Better antennas do help but saying it cannot be done without the right antenna is just plain false as there is NO "right" antenna.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.