• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hams on CB

Your darn right we do. We had to study, learn theory, take tests and 'work' to get our license. The cb band was taken from hams in an effort to let lazy people wreck havoc and use filthy language on the air! AM is a lousy mode for 11 meters. But you CB folks don't know the difference. I do not condone ham's useing ham equipment on the CB bands any more than CB'ers useing it. But most hams have worked hard to get the privaliges they have and will continue to raise hell when non lincensed operators break the law.

Your darn right we do. We had to study, learn theory, take tests and 'work' to get our license. The cb band was taken from hams in an effort to let lazy people wreck havoc and use filthy language on the air! AM is a lousy mode for 11 meters. But you CB folks don't know the difference. I do not condone ham's useing ham equipment on the CB bands any more than CB'ers useing it. But most hams have worked hard to get the privaliges they have and will continue to raise hell when non lincensed operators break the law.

Spoken like a true Stuffed shirt, I'm better then you are type Ham....

A few points of interest....

Spell checkers are readily available, NO COST!

I've heard Language, and conduct which easily rivals 11 meters pretty often on those Elite Ham bands you covet.

Some of us Actually Prefer AM over other modes whether its on 11, 75, or whatever. Thankfully you cannot dictate our preferences.

Most non-licensed operators I hear encroaching on Amateur bands come from outside the USA where the laws May, or May Not apply.

You should consider promoting the hobby through education rather than trying to make someone feel inferior by belittling them.

You might be posing some valid points but anything which approaches validity is lost in the tone of your post...

All this coming from an 20WPM Extra class CB'er...

The cb band was taken from hams in an effort to let lazy people wreck havoc and use filthy language on the air!
Kind of an uninformed statement .

It was moved from its original band segment because the limited technology for radios working in that segment made the use very expensive. The 11m band was given to the Amateurs after the war but it was an unpopular band and sparsely used .

If you want to speak of wreaking havoc and bad language why don't we discuss the well trained, theory learned, test taking Hams on 75m ?

But you CB folks don't know the difference.
For a first post here I think your condescending remarks aren't a good introduction of yourself or what you are trying to discuss . There are good people here. Some that may have more technical knowledge than you may ever attain . To seemingly lump all CB operators in a certain category would be no different than lumping all Hams as bad 75m operators . I'm a Ham but I think this kind of emotional dialogue is not a good way for either side to change negative views of one another . Sometimes being an adult means more than having a right to cuss and chew. 10-4 ?

I think it is a good idea that Ham's use the CB freq's.
They are the ones that can also appreciate the stupid limitations that are placed on CB.
At least they have the chance to figure it out like most of us have

FCC to us:
1) Don't talk skip!
Ans: How can one avoid it when it happens and that is all you can hear?
Stupid reg..
2) You cannot unlock the clarifier!
Ans: Again, if every radio out there was on freq it wouldn't be an issue - but they are not.
Stuuupid reg!
3) NO extra frequencies!
Ans: If you are going to allow the 11 meter band for CB usage, then let them have ALL of the CB frequencies available.
It is Stupid....stupid...stupid..to hold to this reg when Ham's and CB'ers can both benefit from it.
4) NO Linear amps!
Ans: As if the Ham amps can't work on CB freq. Ha! A lot of them can - and CB people can buy and use them too. It is STUPID to say that it isn't the same thing.
I can see using and allowing 100wickers for CB base so that skip can be as viable for CB as it is for Hams. Mobiles should be allowed 300wickers - too.
5) ????
YOU fill in the blank. I'll bet that you all know some things that I haven't listed here. Feel free to add as you like.

Remember - that the laws of physics and radio electronics are the same of CB as they are for Ham's...

This isn't THEIR government; it's yours. It is your responsibility to take it back if it gets out of hand. The philosopher Nietzsche said (paraphrased) "any government that practices cruelties upon its own and calls them laws cannot stay together long." I'm not saying he is right in respect to this issue - or is wrong. But - an American patriot once said: "..the patriot is alway weary of protecting his own country from his own government." That may sound like a revolutionary thing to say, but it the backbone and RESPONSIBILITY of every unwary American citizen and a part of your birthright. That's right! Pardon my paraphrasing, but I can guarantee that is pretty close in content. If we don''t watch those who are responsible for watching over us, it becomes too easy to lose your freedoms and your rights.

BTW- I am a Ham, and I believe the FCC has a mandate that has been outdated because of technology, business, and a lack of proper considerations.
I cut my teeth on CB, and I believe I surely enjoy the relaxed atmosphere far more than the stuffy 'Hamdom'. Let the Ham's be the Ham's; but keep a portion of the radio FREE for the PEOPLE. If Ham's want to come on 11 meter, I say let them. The sooner they appreciate the stupidity of the rules that exist, they may well want to give it back to the people and let the gov't show some consideration. I've noticed that some Ham's on qrz.com are still selling and trading CB equipment; we aren't that different.

Last edited:
Alot of hams mistakenly think 11 meters was taken from them, but it never really belonged to them. It was only a ham band on a secondary basis, similar to 70cm. But hams rarely used 11 meters when they had it, partly because it wasn't harmonically related to the other HF bands.

The FCC defines CB as a short range service. Not allowed to talk more than 155 miles, no more than 12 watts PEP, antennas no higher than 60 feet off ground. The reason for all this is political. The ARRL has the political power to prevent any competing hobby radio service from taking any potential due-paying members.

It really chaps the hide of many a CBer can talk skip without being under the auspices of their clan rules.

CB was put on 11 meters back in 1958 because that is what the tube technology of the time was capable of.

cb radio and hams

I for one like cb frequencies because they are fun and amusing. I started on CB and I consider it another set of frequencies I have to use. I personally think there is nothing wrong with using a little power or even 4000 watts pep for that matter, but the problem is that you could cause interference to Ham channels as well as neigbors. So there are laws to combat this situation because some people have abused their freedom and didnt care if they were interfering with other peoples electronics. The key is interference. If you don't bother anybody and your station doesnt bother anybody than the FCC probably won't come looking for you. BUT!!! If the FCC is in the area and can see your big beam antenna all they have to do is knock on the door and demand to inspect your station. Yes there are laws and power restrictions and ultimately you would be breaking the law if transmitting with more than 4 watts on CB. Sucks! I believe it is one of those laws made to envelope all the irresponsible people as well as the responsible people. Yet I find myself flipping the switch to make that difficult contact and get some cheap thrill when you can hear several stations calling your numbers, wanting to know if you can hear them and how they sound. A quick thrill and then on to the next contact. SKIP..... For some reason it's a blast!! So is talking on 20 meters, and 40 meters and 80 meters, you get my drift. I have my General ticket, I know i'm not a snob. I just hate to stop having so much fun and that's why I go to 11 meters when I'm in the mood for some amusement and just plain ole fun. The whole reason I got into radio in the first place. So take a chill pill all you haters and enjoy your radio!

well it's been a few years since i actually talked on 11 mtrs. but i still have my madison base in my station, along with a hr2510. the 2510 i fire up once a year. the madison hasn't been used in a few since i don't have an ant for it up (and it hasn't been worth a switch or coax change to use it) the locals i don't miss. I remember talking to marconi, and a few others on 11 mtrs. before i upgraded to general. It's not that i don't like it, most of my locals are barely worth the bullet i would give them if it was legal, let alone talk to them. as far as extra power who doesn't, as long as it's not causing harmful interference i don't care. i have quite a few amps myself that haven't been run in at least 6-8 years.didn't need them,better antenna system. will i ever stop talking on CB? i doubt it, too many good people on there, worth talking too, luckily a lot of them have become HAM operators so now we have a lot more frequencies and modes in which to communicate. So to all the CBers, Freebanders out there I say Good DXing and 73

::glare:: Im planning on getting my ham ticket this month. Im still going to be on the cb most of the time at work. It will be nice to get home and reach out and meet new people. It will be a 11meter cb radio when on am. As for the 4watts we shall see;)

Originally, CB was located in the 460 MHz–470 MHz UHF band....

I set up a GMRS repeater some years ago and while reading up on GMRS rules and history was shocked to see this. I think UHF was first a CB band in the late 50's? can you imagine! I bet know one had equipment for it back then.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.