• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

hamstick question

bluestallion

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 13, 2008
If i were to use a 20m and 40m hamstick and mount them on a piece of flat aluminum bracket the was feed with coax. When i would transmit on say 20m would it auto band switch go to the correct antenna? or would i have to do 2 spereate mounts with a coax switch. just wondering since hustler has a mount that you can use 3 different antennas with. thanks. to any one that is doing this or just using a coax switch thanks for help

I would be easy to do actually, you need to look at how the arrow 2m/70cm dual band works works,

basically you need to isolate the mount from ground, them attach the center conductor to the mount, and go from there

another example of how this DOES ACTUALLY work is the FAN dipole

or using a 2m 5/8 wave antenna on 6m and 2m

basically if you have a 20m and a 40m antenna connected on the same feedpoint the RF will go where it can go with the least amount of work, in this case it will be the resonant antenna

I ending up puting a 706 mk2g in my truck along with a ah-4 tuner. I have a mfj 20m and 40m hamsticks as long as a 102 whip. If I put the 40m stick on, can is use it for 20m also? the 102 does pretty good from 20-6m. but doing signal test the 20m does little better. but didnt know if would be ok to use the 40m for both 40 and 20 meters. Thanks

Running Hamsticks on a different band could result in over heating of the coil and eventual burn out. reactance voltages can be extremely high and arcing can occur, Not saying it will but it certainly could. I have a 20m and a 75m Hamstick and won't use them on another band other than what they were designed for.

If you have a tuner then you can probably use a 40 meter antenna on 20 meters. That doesn't say how well it will work, but it can be done.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.