• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hand Held CB's

avcat said:
Looking for information on who makes the best hand held CB
or the one that is most liked by users. :D

Thanks

I own one. Rarly use it but I won't give it up.

Mine is the TRC 221.

It's a brick size handheld BUT it has a long long whip. And THAT is the key to a good cb handheld. Rubber duckie antennas are garbage. And cb handheld with a good antenna is good in my opinion. An output between 2-4 watts is fine.

Almost all of them will be AM though.

There was only one ssb handheld made that I know of and it had a rubber duckie antenna. :cry:

I drive many different vehicles and am looking for a hand held
to lay on the dash that will pick up close by truck traffic. Don't
want to to fool with all the wires that go with a small CB.

have never seen a hand hand worth talking about
even when mounting to a external roof/outside antenna

far better off with a regular but small cb that is really easy to mount..

I had a TRC-221 Handheld that worked pretty well with the built in telescoping antenna. I also had an optional 1 foot rubber ducky that attached to the retracted telescoping antenna. That thing reduced the range down pretty low, but that was sometimes desirable.

Hooking it up as a base worked pretty well, too. It was connected to an A99 at 40 feet, and I used the Radio Shack noise cancelling power mic with it, with the radio running from a GelCell battery w/ trickle charger for a power supply, and a little homebrew 120 watt tube amp inline. It was actually a pretty nice little setup. AM 40 channel only, of course. I also used it in the car a couple of times with good results, using a K40 magmount antenna and aforementioned power mic.

If you are wanting to use one inside a vehice without an external mobile antenna of some sort, you will get very short range with it--being inside a metal vehicle really cuts your signal down.

I used that system for about a year before upgrading to a 2950.

I never had much luck with Handhelds. Had a Mundara SY-201 for a while (AM/SSB handheld) and it was a pretty poor performer.
As to swapping vehicles a lot. When I had a company car I was not allowed to mount a radio in AND I had to leave it at the office overnight (not allowed to take it home and the office had outside parking lot) I mounted a small 40 channel mobile set on a small bit of wood (about 12 x 8 ) , , screwed a leather strap handle on the side of the wood, wired up a lighter plug and got a small mag-mount antenna. I'd just put it on the passenger seat in the morn, and plug it in, throw the antenna on the roof. All of about 1 minute.
Al night, pull the antenna off (throw on back seat) unplug lighter plug and pick iup radio by handle, and off home. Another minute.

Yes I know, it wan't earthed properly , blah , blah. But it worked O.K.

again...
no such thing as a good hand held CB

there are plenty of desent small CB's
none that are hand held

sorry...it is what it is

a normal handheld cb wirks all well as any standard cb as long as you are using an external antenna. look for a model that uses a bnc connector on the antenna. you can use a small $10 magmount on the roof and get out like any regular cb would.

you mentioned you wanted to use it in vehicle, a standard handitalk antenna usally wont work, the vechicles cab keeps the signal from radiating, usally you are limited within a 1/2 block radious.

granted if you have a handheld and use exturnal antenna it might work ok..
but compare handheld to a true CB with antenna
the true CB will likly do better

also the guy said he wanted to use i believe without exturnal antenna

without external antenna

no way it will work well...let alone good

there is no difference between a handy talk and a true cb as far as transmit goes. they are both limited to the same 4 watt maximum power.

one of the drawbacks is the little mic they use, it works as well as a stock mic though you just need to talk closer.

I disagree..
yes is same 4 watts..

but typiclly the audio is stronger on non handheld CB's
Also i am unsure all hand held are actually 4 watts..

many are made to use D or C or AA style batteries
as such those usally will not get full 4 watts
(even when plugged into cig lighter)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.