• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

handheld birddog antenna

Bronco

That's Mr. Mud-Duck....
Dec 17, 2008
western Kansas
I thouhgt it could be fun to make a small handheld horizontal beam to use to birddog CB radio signals. I am not wanting to transmit , only receive. You know , kinda like what you see the wildlife biologists use when they have a radio collar to track a wild animals movements. Does anyone know where I might find a calculator online to find the dimensions that would work best?

If it's for receive only and you just want something hand held, you can use just about anything. The handheld part of that is going to throw off all the calculations anyway. Make the rear (reflector) element a little longer than the next (driven) element, which is where you'll attach the coax. Then make a couple of director elements to go in front of the driven element, but make them both shorter than the driven element and also the same size as each other.

And the polarization will most likely be vertical, and not horizontal. If you want to RDF (radio direction find) stuff. Try the ready to go unit from Ramsey Electronics. Is a little electronic direction box along with a 4 antenna set. Designed for mobile use.

When you say "handheld" and for "CB tracking," I will assume that you would not actually be planning on walking around on foot to track down CB signals. Seems ineffective. More like you would ride around in a vehicle looking for them. This neat-o doppler unit from Ramsey is just the ticket. $169.00

Ramsey Electronics

interview.gif

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.