• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Handheld radio for hunting

eXXon

Aug 18, 2011
Hi all,

I'm in the process of buying a handheld radio primarily for hunting. For this I need TX/RX in the frequence area of 136 MHz – 174 MHz. 5W Output.

A couple of years ago I had an Icom F-something that died durring heavy rain. I really liked that radio... and it was easily modified to full band coverage (45.300 Mhz to 240Mhz and 300Mhz to 584Mhz). I would like to have that option too.

What kind of handheld do you recommend? Preferably an Icom, but I'm open for everything.

Thank you in advance.

HT for hunting

You've no doubt read a lot on these forums about the Wouxon KGV-UV series HTs. I am a shameless advocate. They cover that range of frequecies and they're dual-band so you can cover the 420 - 520 range with them without modification. Pretty rugged and the price is absolutely right. With an extra battery and maybe a weather protection bag for HTs I doubt you could break $200.

There are free download programs to "expand" the frequency range just maybe not quite as wide as you seek.

5 watt on 2 meter and mine hits repeaters pretty well out to several miles with the ducky antenna, depending on terrain.

On a full charge the included 1400 mAh battery on mine lasts well over 12 hours of constant monitoring and frequent TX. I haven't even needed to use the optional 1700 mAh battery I bought. There's a car adapter for charging, too.

I'll backup the Wouxun KG-UV2D, I've owned mine for just over a year and no problems.. This radio has been in use every single day.. Granted I live in flat land country (Illinois). But I can reach Rockford's main two repeaters (1 is 2 meter, the other is a 70cm) from an average of 20-30 miles away with the stock rubber duck... Great radio for the price...

Ed at Wouxun KG-UVD1P - KG-UV2D - KG-UV920R Mobile Transceiver (that was supposed to say Wouxun dot us but the forum converted it) is the fastest way to get one, he is the only U.S. dealer that I know of... Otherwise you may save a few bucks but have to wait 3 weeks or so from hong kong... I got mine in 3 days from Ed.

If you have any questions about the radio let me know :)

Have a great night, and 73
Will

If heavy rain and water are a concern, you might want to look at one of the waterproof radios from Yaesu. Something like the Yaesu VX-7r might be the ticket in a hunting environment

I own a QuanSheng TG-UV2, walkie Talkie from DX China and very satisfied but I have friends that are not familiar with PC programming and would need Walkie Talkies Transceivers that are simple to use and not so complicated as the PC programming ones. All they need is probably more like the Uniden Atlantis that would be easy to operate on Marine bands & weather (136 to 174 MHz). Just press a button to choose frequencies and press to talk.
Would anybody know of a Walkie Talkie model from china that would meet their requirements?

I use an FT270R.

I wish I took pictures after I was at an outdoor concert in the rain / tornados...it was absolutely covered in mud.

Still worked great though!

They run about $150, and the battery life is pretty great. Full charge, and you'll be able to have your radio on all day.

cant beat the yeasues...the ems fire police are going to them in Missouri because they can take it,its the com. line vertex...i used one as a police officer for yrs...It was in a snow bank for 5 min till i put a suspect in the car.couldnt find it ,called dispatch to tone me so i could dig it out....so i use yeasue in the house...73s de JW

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.