• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Has anyone worked ZL8X yet?

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
Well? The ZL8X DXPedition on the Kermadec Island went on the air today. Has anyone here worked the station?

What are these guys doing? Their web site is not very informative for someone not in the know.

What are they doing? They are partaking in a DXpedition to activate Kermedic Island which is about 900 miles NNE of Wellington New Zealand. Groups of amateur radio operators often go to remote areas of the world for a week or two and operate from there to give other amateurs a chance to work that rare country.

BTW anyone notice their 20m freq? 14.182.5 MHz + 5 KHz for extras or +50 KHz for USA generals. That means that the recognized SSTV freqs. will be hit with a barrage of QRM on 14.230 and 14.235 MHz. I would have thought they could have picked a better "listen up" freq. :sneaky2:

I worked Kermadec back in 1961 on 40/20/15 and 10 meters. Never have had an 80 meter antenna, and there were no WARC bands back then. Got the QSLs for all four of the bands, though. 90 watts of CW, a dipole for 40 and a trap vertical for the rest.

Garth - actually got them with 15 watts AM on 10 and 15 as well as CW!

I worked Kermadec back in 1961 on 40/20/15 and 10 meters. Never have had an 80 meter antenna, and there were no WARC bands back then. Got the QSLs for all four of the bands, though. 90 watts of CW, a dipole for 40 and a trap vertical for the rest.

Garth - actually got them with 15 watts AM on 10 and 15 as well as CW!

You guys on the wrong coast get all the really nice Pacific DX that I would kill for. :cry: OTOH I can work anywhere in Africa or the Middle East on a wet string for an antenna. :D

You guys on the wrong coast get all the really nice Pacific DX that I would kill for. :cry: OTOH I can work anywhere in Africa or the Middle East on a wet string for an antenna. :D

Tell me about it! I'd been licensed for almost 3 years before I even HEARD Africa! However, when I announced to the ZS3 that I was in Nevada (at that time), I was besieged by a large pileup of African and Middle East stations who desperately needed me for WAS! Completed my WAC and got about a dozen new ones for DXCC in about half an hour.

THEN a few days later, I discovered the thrill of 20M long path ... (y)

I heard ZL8X this morning on 160m. That was on an antenna that is decidedly NVIS! I'll take a listen again tomorrow morning unless the contest has them covered up.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.