• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Has the economy affected your hobby?

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
How has the economy affected your radio (and other) hobby? I know I'm not buying stuff I would normally like to take a look at. I'm also passing on just about every great deal I find...

I was real bad for buying anything I could get a good deal on. I finally stopped doing that in the last year or so. I've got pretty much everything that I want in the radio hobby. Canoes and kayaks are what catch my eye these days. But, yes I am putting off buying any more boats until we see just what's coming in the next few years.

Thankfully, I've made some really smart choices recently with money, so we are in good shape, and the business I work for is healthy and is investing in it's future, so I think everything will be OK for us. But I know alot of people are going to get wiped out in the coming months, and I feel awful for them.

I'm also lucky that I have a skill that is always in demand---people have to eat!

The effect for me has been that a lot of really good equipment has come on the market at bargain basement prices. Fortunately, like Highlander, I made some good choices a few years ago. All I can say is, " Thank God for eBay." I just wish sometimes that I was in a position to pick up stuff like I did when I was in biz in SoCal 10 years ago.

Gasoline to a degree and the draw from my amp on my cars engine , Just kind of bumped down the power in return giving me less draw in return giving me much better mpg per gallon. :) Other then that , I feel rather lucky with all that has come down this year concerning the economy. I have all the toys I need to satisfy me at this time.

Although I lost a few good friends and my dear mother a few months ago. It surely has been a tough year for so many Americans. So I tend to count my blessings as they may be. No matter how bad it could be for anybody ......it could always be worse. :(

it could always be worse. :(
Sorry, it will be.

I'm ill prepared but am bracing for it.

Discretionary spending is about nil.

I hope to invest in gold. The dollar is near failure.

Well I'm having fun buying things for really good prices.
S.K. I know you have all you need. I heard you have an old 20 ft. container in the back yard full of radio's an Amps. :D

Sorry, it will be.

I'm ill prepared but am bracing for it.

Discretionary spending is about nil.

I hope to invest in gold. The dollar is near failure.

Now might be a good time. The dollar is gaining value and gold is 30% off its high.

No gear for me, I'm not even going to buy coax.

Conserving extra cash flow has lead my to try to run barefoot. I am working to get the antenna system the best I can. I sold my only 2 pill as to above the "more power" need. I have passed up on buying radios just to collect. I know this is the World Wide Radio Forum, but the increasing fuel costs had pushed me to stop supporting my other hobby which is collecting guns. I have not purchased a gun in over a year. I just avoid the gun shop all together.

I have not purchased a gun in over a year. I just avoid the gun shop all together.

I have just purchased 4 more guns before we get another democrat in office and they put another ban on "assault" style weapons ! :headbang

Damn Clinton! :headbang:headbang

We were debt free since i saw the economy go into a freefall
That was when Leeson took out the Baringsbank, and it was clear the safeguards were off the banks to prevent this.

Just bought a new FT 847 out of the box from the shelves of an shop closing down, latest model, never used, for a low price
So, now 2 x the FT847, a FT 100 mobile transciever , the SB-1000 all restored to new with new 3-500ZG.

With the rest of the gear, i'm set for the next 10+ years.
As for the guns, i have 4 and do reload :D

How has the economy affected your radio (and other) hobby? I know I'm not buying stuff I would normally like to take a look at. I'm also passing on just about every great deal I find...

YES! I peaked in this hobby about 2001 / 02, back then I had a Icom pro2 and a Yeasu ft-1000 mk5. Today I have a 15 year old Icom 728 !

Extra 40 rounder magazine for an Enfield MP45

Hello secret squirrel,

Would you happen to have an extra enfield magazine for me? thanks

Has the economy affected your hobby?

I just checked my local HRO, the economy has not affected the hobby as much as I though it would.

I've sold most of the equipment I don't use much. I'm keeping all the stuff I know I would regret selling and would have to buy again. I sold one of my Kenwood TS850's that I hated to see go, but realized I only need one. Most of my extra mics that I didn't use often are gone too.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.