• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Has your Yaesu ever failed and need repair?

Has your Yaesu ever failed and needed repairs?

• Total voters
I just bought a used FT-840 this weekend.
I voted Yes as I got it for a really good price as it has a funny quirk.
When it first turns on, about 1-2 minutes in, the display flashes and looses RX and TX.
Turn it on and off a few times or give it a little tap on the top and it's ok.
Myself I just turn it on and let it do it's thing. When it warms up it's fine.
I now leave it on 24/7 and all is good.

I have no idea what it may be ? Any ideas?

For my first HF rig, it does the job.

tracker.

On 2/3/11 I got a phone call from Yaesu, repair will be $134 plus shipping to repair the RX in radio caused be some serious front end overload that took out several component`s ( operator error ) and let out the magic smoke.
Will update when Radio arrives back home.
Thanks for the comments so far.

Jeff

I have had to send in my VX–8DR twice. The first time I sent it in was because I thought the APRS was not working. It turned out that it was operator error having APRS set on VFO A instead of VFO B. A boneheaded mistake if you ask me:love:. I have just sent it in a week ago because the speaker Mike and GPS were not being recognized by the radio. I got a call from the service department where I purchased the radio last week saying that the ribbon cable that connects the connector on the radio to the board had been ripped off. In the process of removing the speaker Mike from the radio the connector had been spun around causing the damage. At least hopefully that's the only problem. The service department had to order the $90 part before they can do any more troubleshooting (3 – 4 weeks). Once that cable is in then they can see if there are any other issues with the radio. I really hope not. Oh well live and learn.:unsure:

2/9/2011
Radio returned Early AM, I had time last night to run the radio a bit and it works fine, right back up to snuff.
I must also add that Shipping was delayed by one day due to some things I had ordered from Yaesu, and had to wait to get the Items shipped in the same box.
So Radio was shipped to them on 1/24/2011
Returned back to me on 2/9/2011 ( note this includes shipping time as well) and I am happy with the result.
I would give them a 5 out of 5.

Jeff

I own eight Yaesu's HT's and Mobiles, sent a couple in for upgrades is all. Never had one fail, but bought an 817 off eBay that had no output. Service and communication to their SoCal center was always top notch.

I swear by Yaesu!
I own:
FT 8900
FT 857
VX7r
VX2
FT60
FT212H

The only radio i had a problem w was the VX7r. (Operator error).
Sent it back to Yaesu for repair, the estimated the repair cost, called me to confirm fix 1 day after recieving it, fixed it and i had it back in my hands 3 days later. The radio lasted about another 2 weeks and it failed again. I personally think there was more that needed repair on it than what was found. I never sent it back and it has sat on my desk for 2 yrs. I have no real complaints as the custmer service was good and turn around time was 1 day. The only reason i have not sent it back is because i am lazy.

I currently own six Yaesu rigs, from HT's to HF, and only one of them ever needed repair, an FT-2900 that blew the final the first day I had the rig. HRO checked the installation, verified that it was blown and that my antenna was fine and replaced it on the spot under warranty.

Old thread new post.

Digging up and old post I see. Never had to send out a yaesu but a Kenwood dual band mobil Made at least 4 trips to Steve in Va. for resets on the CPU to correct a problem I had with the audio dropping off to Zero. I wound up setting it up as a packet radio.after the warrenty expired. Kenwood owes me a Radio and I will never get it. And will never buy another. I know at least 3 who had trouble with TS480's also.:censored:

I ended up trading off the FT 1500 I had and now have a 2900 Yeasu for 2 years mobile....and once again I have had zero issues with this radio..Yeasu has been a solid performer for me (y)

I'm kind of a late arrival to this thread, but need to add my 'too scents'..I've been a ham for a long time and have had experiences with 'the big three', Yaesu,Icom and Kenwood HF and also VHF rigs.
I've had zero issues out of my VHF equipment from any maker.
HF is another story altogether.
Yaesu FT-101; What a great performing tank that rig was!
FT-757Gx; So much stuff crammed into a small package. Impossible to werk on -- but then, the NEED to never arose!
FT-840; I currently own FOUR 840's. I like them more than any other radio I've ever owned, except a Kenwood TS-850S I bought new. The 840 is extremely easy to understand and operate. There ARE some design flaws tho. THese rigs get waay too hot at the 2 watt, flameproof (and that's a good thing) resistor near the audio and regulator IC's. I dunno why, but they all do it, although none have ever failed because of it.It has been reported that the 840's drift... Well, my four never drift. What's up with that?

Kenwood TS440; It kind of sucked on SSB receive, but the AM was great.
Had finals issues with it. and the display 'tube' failed (old 'nixie' technology).
TS-850s. Awesome rig! Wish I still had it, but then again, the guy I sold it to had more problems than I can recall right now. He used to refer to it in past-tense as his "boat" -- happiest days was the day he got it and the day he sold it! :D

ICOM 703; A genuine dog! Wonderful SWL receiver , but You cannot keep preamps or finals in this turd. But what really makes this a turd was ICOM's service after the sale. I sent mine off and 60 days later/ 60 bucks lighter, they shipped it back saying it was "beyond repair" and that "it had been modified"... Had to fix it (and sell it quickly) myself! If i ever am unfortunate to be stuck with one, NEVER AGAIN will the maker ever see it!

All that being said: I would steer-clear of any one of the above because they are old. Old rigs are like old cars. 20 year old 'lytics are a crap shoot... Of course, you might just develop a "love afair with them thar 840's after using one for a while, so re-capping is just a maintanence issue for you.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.