• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Heathkit SB220 resistors

Jimbo165

Jun 1, 2012
Southeastern Michigan
I picked up a SB220 and during cleanup of amplifier the resistors on top of capacitors look like they got hot so I want to replace them . They are a 30k 7 watt resistor not sure of voltage required , there are 8 to be replaced. I googled them and nothing came up and have not been able to find these. Is there a replacement value I can install and not cause any problems with amplifier? Also what would cause these to get hot? Thanks Jimbo

I picked up a SB220 and during cleanup of amplifier the resistors on top of capacitors look like they got hot so I want to replace them . They are a 30k 7 watt resistor not sure of voltage required , there are 8 to be replaced. I googled them and nothing came up and have not been able to find these. Is there a replacement value I can install and not cause any problems with amplifier? Also what would cause these to get hot? Thanks Jimbo

Hello Jimbo
you can use 10 watt resisters voltage doesn't matter on my SB-220 they are green but body color is unimportant. You should also change out the caps. and check for shorts.
Here's a link for the resistors they are 10watts but will work fine.
http://www.digikey.com/product-sear...t=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25.

73 Lawrence : KF4HNF

Reactions: Jimbo165
Hello Jimbo
you can use 10 watt resisters voltage doesn't matter on my SB-220 they are green but body color is unimportant. You should also change out the caps. and check for shorts.
Here's a link for the resistors they are 10watts but will work fine.
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/resistors/through-hole-resistors/66690?k=&pv2=10&FV=fff40001,fff80482,40411&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25.

73 Lawrence : KF4HNF
Thank You for the info. Jimbo

jimbo as posted go the harbach route, upgrade full power supply including metering board, you will not be disappointed.

The power supply components in those old heathkits have pretty much reached their limitations of usage, just a matter of time before they start failing, with catastrophic results especially if you loose a meter.

Harbach kits are not hard to install and have added safety features like meter protection etc etc. you will want the full PS kit and also the keying circuit so you can key the amp with modern transceivers, in original circuit it is around -110vdc on the keying relay, todays modern transceivers can not be used with that high of voltage.

Reactions: BJ radionut

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.