• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HeathKit sb220

Nomad,
The Hot-Foot Keyer has a SSB switch installed for that application. I was wondering if its a delay or if it switches it on continuously?
With the ssb switch, should it be okay? Any Pros & Cons?

People have their preferences, and they're entitled. Whether based on fact, or.... whatever. The "SSB" delay on a "hot-foot" adapter is just the same as the SSB delay in a solid-state mobile linear. Makes the relay "pause" between when your voice stops, and when the relay drops back to 'receive' mode.

My take on amplifiers of ANY kind using an internal (RF-sensing) keying circuit boils down to two shortcomings:

1: Delay on key-up. If you are loud enough at the other end to be heard barefoot, this won't affect the way you sound, much. But if they CAN hear you barefoot, why is the amplifier running? If you AREN'T loud enough to be heard until the amplifier is running, the first syllable of the word you're saying when the amplifier keys will get chopped off. It takes a fraction of a second for a RF-sense keying circuit to respond. Another fraction for the relay to close. How many times have you heard someone on SSB that has that first syllable "clipped off" before the linear keys? This puts a choppy sound on your speech, every time you pause long enough for the linear to drop out, and it has to re-key the next word you speak into the mike.

2: Having to wait until the linear drops before you can hear anybody in your receiver. If you miss the first word the other folks say after you unkey, you may not care. Or you might. Kinda gets on my nerves.

Internal "carrier key", "RF-sense", or "Hotfoot" keying is quite effective on AM, so long as the whole system is working right, and the relay doesn't chatter. The amplifier keys as soon as you do, and gives you back your receiver as soon as you unkey the mike. So long as you place the hotfoot's sensing box in line RIGHT AFTER the radio, you won't reduce the life of the big box's relays all that much. Placing it downstream from the driver will be harder on the big box's relay, since full drive wattage will now arc across the standby side of the big box's input relay when you key the radio.

The main reason we developed our 'internal' linear relay board was for customers who kept scorching the input relay in their big boxes. Using the same RF-sensing setup INSIDE a box with six 3-500Z tubes just is not as safe and effective as it is when used in a small amplifier that uses ONLY barefoot radio drive. Installing it INSIDE a large (HIGH-drive) amplifier pretty well guarantees that the input relay will arc every time you key. When these folks discovered that putting the "keying" jack on the back of the radio was cheaper than putting a new input relay in the 'big' box once (or twice) a year, it caught on. It wasn't developed to promote on a web page, but to answer the requests of our repair customers. For years, this trick was installed by just "flying" the parts across the pins on a relay, soldering them down to the relay's pins and strapping the relay down. The printed-circuit board we use now was just a means to cut the labor building them. That's why we have a relay with TWO separate outputs. Kept getting asked to strap a second relay onto the first, so a 'small' ham box could be used to key the big one, just from the radio's mike. Strapping on a second relay got old, so starting with version two, we have been using a two-pole relay. Nothing says you have to wire up two jacks on the rear of the radio if you only need one.

Making the radio system work more smoothly on SSB wasn't really the reason we developed it. It does exactly that, making a "ham" amplifier work the way it was meant to work with "ham" radios that legally have that jack on the rear. No more "clackity" every time you pause to take a breath.

I suppose IF our relay module was a big money-maker, I'd have to pretend that it's the best thing since sliced bread, and bad-mouth every other way of keying a ham box. No such luck. It's just one way of doing this. It fits my personal preferences better than the other methods.

If it didn't appeal to enough of our repair clients, we never would have made more of them after the first prototype batch.

Gotta remember one rule about technology. There is ALWAYS MORE than one way to achieve any ONE objective.

Probably ought to make another batch of them before talking it up much more than this.

If it is easy to install, I sure would like to purchase a couple of your internal keying circuit.
Thanks for the Heads up in all of this. Nomad your opinion is well appreciated..

sb-220

You know every one has to learn but your messing with the wrong amp. This isnt a toy like your mobile rigs this thing will kill you if you dont pay attention. The guy is giving you alot of good advice except one. Read the book, there is alot of info on the internet about this amp and you should read as much of it as you can before you decide to use it. Most solid state rigs dont like this amp and will fold back on its power if the SWR isnt correct. The tubes are not cheap and most people have no idea what fifteen hundred watts of tube power will do. Just do some reading about your system and the amp before you jump. GOOD LUCK

mike CDX-2302 (im back)

Triple J said:
You can buy a foot keyer to key the amplifier. You can find them on e-bay sometimes for about $20.00. Heil Sound www.heilsound.com also sells a foot keyer that will work. I've heard that some people will add a relay inside their transceiver to key the amp. The easiest way is to use the amp with an amateur radio, most have a keying relay in them. Just make sure that there is a "soft key" circuit installed in the amp before connecting it to a modern transceiver or you will burn up the transceiver pretty quick. You can get them from www.harbachelectronics.com. Good luck and be careful if you have to go inside that amp for anything. Whatever you do, do not on turn that amplifier with the cover off! If it has the safety switch installed you will burn out the rectifier board and have a transformer meltdown. A better word of advise is "Do Not Have the Amplifier Plugged in with the Cover Off" There are lethal voltages in there that can Kill You!!. There is a wealth of information out there on that amplifier, take your time and do some web searches. Enjoy!!
73's
Triple J

Harboch sells a lot of neet amp toys

very good info. do you have any of those hot rod kits left? would really like one of those pride power supply kits too...
Uh 460,
For starters, we can skip that "mister" stuff. One of the oldest traditions of amateur radio is that everybody is on a "first name" basis. Whether you're a king, a clown, pauper or fat cat. I suppose that idea had a lot of appeal when I was 12 years old, but it sank in very early.

As to where you'll find this info posted on the web, beats me. We developed our own 'hot-rod' routine the old-fashioned way by trial and error, with some guidance from the math. That, and paying attention to the same parts that ALWAYS got hammered as soon as a SB-220 was put onto AM.

All we have are the parts list and cryptic notes on the old (1987) word processor. One of these days I'll convert a few hundred old Wordstar files to something modern. One of these days.

I shot the pictures to write a step-by-step (sorta) web page for this, and that's where the project stalled.

Next web page on the wish-list for the SB-220 is our low-voltage relay replacement kit. Selling a few of those would pay for the time spent writing it up that way.

Problem is, the wish list is out of hand and just getting longer. The hot-rod AM-operator 'beef-up' routine is too far down the list for now. Unless I found a way for it to pay for itself.

Had the half-defrosted idea of offering the parts for the process in a kit. Would be easier than placing 3 or 4 separate parts orders for one of this, and two of that. The background effort would include getting that list worked up with supplier catalog numbers and backup suppliers. Then a good supply of all the parts on the list would be the next expense.

Once I get it to that point, I'll have so much money tied up in the idea that I'll finally get off my ass and write the web page for it.

Seems to be the only thing that gets one project to the top of the pile. On the other hand, until I have something (actually) on hand to sell, it's pointless to show it to the world on a web page. Chicken and egg problem, sorta.

I worked out a poof-proof replacement for the failure-prone zener diode, and started the web page for installing it in a SB-220. It holds the tube heat down enough to permit using the 220 on "SSB" side for AM. Figured that would get me motivated to write up the install procedure for it, but they sell too fast here, in and out the door. Before I can get nervous about the money I spent to make them, they're sold, and it's time to order another batch. The local walk-in trade still pays most of the bills. Web stuff is still a side line (stepchild). Gets treated like one.

I did post a bunch of the pictures from the step-by-step, never-written web page in a folder on one of the Yahoo groups web sites. Been long enough I don't remember which one.

(short pause)

Checked Yahoo Groups. It's in the "photos" folder named "SB220_Customized_For_AM" in the "Tube_Amps" group. Not too helpful, since all you can see if you join the group and click on them is a shrunken "semi-thumbnail". Doesn't allow access to the full resolution of the "photo" file unless you're a moderator, or the user who posted it. Go figure.

Even with 36 pictures in the folder, it's not enough detail for a Ray Doty-style "wordless workshop" (remember those?). I posted those pics in October '03, and then figured out that the rest of the project was a lot bigger than I bargained for. Got discouraged (distracted) and found a project small enough to complete.

And there's the rub. Got a handful of things like the SB-220 low-voltage relay and zener board. Each waiting until its web page gets written, to sell the first "guinea-pig" batch, and see how many "bugs" are in the install procedure.

But that stuff is still in the 'stepchild' category. Waiting for slack days in the repair business.

If experience is any guide, I'll get it done a week before the 3-500Z tube finally gets discontinued. Forever.

Know anybody who needs to replace the burned-up High-Voltage boards in his Pride DX-300 base amp? Got plenty of that one on the shelf to sell. Heck, that one's even on the web. Just click the tiny "www" button at the bottom of my post, just below the sig.

Probably shoulda skipped that one and worked up the SB-220 stuff instead. Live and learn, I guess.

Take care

There is a connector on the rear of the sb220 that will attact to the keying circuit of your transceiver. Your transceiver should have a keying output jack usually on the rear. The SB220 is not like a solidstate amp. It has to be externaly be keyed. The rf from your transceiver will not key it. Also you have to be careful with the SB220 because the keying circuit was not designed for solidstate rigs. If you are using a modern rig as the exciter you must modify the keying circuit as the high voltages present in the SB220's transmit relay will blow up the electronics in a modern solidstate rig. See SB220 mods at Harbach Electronics. He has some great kits to update your SB220 to work with modern solid state riggs as well as some kits to take care of inherent design flaws of the SB220 Good Luck. Harbach Electronics - Products

I know this thread is older than dirt, but I was curious if I could T(?) into my Mini Scout keying circuit and add a RCA jack to the rear of the modulator to key amateur amps?
I've been kicking around the idea of buying an Ameritron 80B, but don't want to mod my 201A to key it and have no desire to use a foot switch.

OK, so to keep it simple, I just get a foot switch from Heil or Radio Shack as long as it has the phono male end plug at the end, it should work. Have the sb220 already keyed before hitting the exiter. Now does it matter which plug it goes to, on the back of the sb220 it has 2 phono end plugs marked "antenna relay" & "alc". Which one?

Also, they recommend 100w drive to get full output. Does that mean 100w deak key or 100w of modulation? I am assuming they mean 100w rms.
If I key 100w and modulate to 150w rms, am I overdriving it? What can happen?

Thank you, All you fellow Radio hobbiest for all the info you've given. :D :D :D :D
Go on you tube and search BBI sb220 doing 3000 watts .. also watch a guy named amp repair guy or a guy called tramDR

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.