• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Heathkit warrior ha-10

Jan 28, 2009
Bought a heathkit warrior ha-10.
The question i have is the supposive dual relay setup needed to operate these.
I have been told they need 2 switching devices, one for tx and one for rx.
Seems odd to me as this is not a transceiver, rather a transmitter.
Can anybody shed some light on this for me?
The goal is to just wire up a footswitch for it so i can use it with any transceiver i feel like using without switching cables and stuff.

Any help is greatly apreciated.

Thanks in advance.
73's

I've never owned one. But some searching around produced some answers which I've compiled courtesy of qrz.com and eham.net:

"Stock Warriors do not have a bypass relay for the antenna and therefore you do have to provide one to switch the amplifier in and out of the circuit between transmit and receive."

"The Warrior has terminals on the rear panel for applying a cutoff bias. It is a very simple modification to build a power supply for doing this internally. Basically, you use a 6.3 volt filament transformer wired "backwards" and then a silicon diode and an electrolytic capacitor."

and

"There is no T/R relay in the amp. As you mentioned you must install one. I used an open frame 12vdc relay with contacts rated for 10 amps. I installed a small wall type popwer supply for the relay as I had a box of them. It is a 1 amp supply and is more than adequate.

You'll need a 3PDT relay for the three functions:
1. Transmit
2. Receive
4. Grid Bias(This must be installed as well). The HA-10 requires a Negative Grid Power supply of -90 to -140 vdc. It is used to cut off the tubes during standby(recieve). I used an Acopian NX-25B power module. It was small and fit underneath the amp off to one side. "

Thank you to K9STH and KO4NR

Another thing to consider with that amp is it has no tuned input.... This is not an issue on the older gear that the amp was originally intended to be driven with.

There are various methods to run modern solid state gear, such as run a tuner, or to build a tuned input...

its not a big deal, the cathode cabinet yes is a bit crowded right where you need to put the relays but I did it, my friends have done it, you can do it. I had 2 of those, nice big and I mean freakin big heavy amps. I drove mine with a 1 pill 2879 box and saw about 800 pep out, fair I guess, I drove it with a 2 pill 2879 and saw 1kw pep out no sweat but I wouldnt stress it any more than that. Some folks say they see 1300 pluss but I dont believe it. That amps downfall is its weight and size, it wont fit in a rack and is too heavy for a desk and its in the way on the floor. I sold mine for 275 dollars in perfect order. its funny, apparently hams pay more for them then cb'ers. I seen them go for $500+ at hamfests. go figure.

anyway, if a cber can put in those relay and a footswitch you can too

i guess thats the moral of my story

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.