• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HEAVY NOISE LEVEL ON RCI 2970

jc4950

May 16, 2005
NJ Trooper
I have a 2970 that is a good all around radio but on mine, it has a very heavy noise level (S4 all the time). I tryed different types of inline noise filters, DSP'S, etc with no help. Its not engine noise from my truck, the radio just has a heavy noise level or is not well filtered. Is this a common problem with 2970s? Is there a modification I can do to filter the floor noise better? Thanks Guys in advance Joe C.

These radios suffer from front end overload badly in the front end rx circuitry.Their is some changes that can be made to reduce this problem and lower the noise floor. You have to watch what is changed because you can loose channel rejection selectivity as well.

You can change a resistor in the 1st RF amp section to reduce alot of that noise. I don't have the exact part number handy, but stock is a 2.2k. Changing to anything up to 10k will drop over-all sensitivity. I'd recommend realigning the receiver to make sure everything is tuned.

I love it when people don't know what there talking about. If you do a complete alignment on these radios Galaxy,RCI,GENERAL you will find that 9 times out of 10 the VCO voltage is set way high from the factory and if you adjust it down "to where its supposed to be" you will notice a big drop in the noise level. Any decent Tech that converts these radios to 11 meters knows that a complete tune and alignment is necessary especially if 50 Asian women was doing the quality control.

Actually Romeo Tango, both DTB & Justin are very good with the 2950 & 2970 radio's. Richard (SS8541) is also top notch and a member of this forum. Infact, if we were to do a top 25 Techs in the country list all three would be on that list without a doubt. I love it when a newbie comes in here and starts slamming techs he knows nothing about.

My 2985DX is converted and it is very quiet on AM but where I do most of my talking on SSB it is always hisssing or white noise even with antenna unhooked. I talked to Justin and he seems to know his stuff plus he gets good reports here on the forum so I plan on sending it to him very soon for recieve upgrade and tuneup/alignment. I baught it thinking it is a much better radio than my grant or ranger 696 but side by side the grant and ranger 696 blow the 2985dx away on receive. I am hoping justins fix makes it at least as good at hearing those far off weak signals. may be when the noise in gone it will be as good.

Roger

If I remember correctly Justin does have his own "front end" mod he does which does help in alot of different radio's. On the flip side, the Uniden Grant xl in proper tune will have as good or better ears then most Exports.

Butcher318 said:
Actually Romeo Tango, both DTB & Justin are very good with the 2950 & 2970 radio's. Richard (SS8541) is also top notch and a member of this forum. Infact, if we were to do a top 25 Techs in the country list all three would be on that list without a doubt. I love it when a newbie comes in here and starts slamming techs he knows nothing about.
Not trying to slam anyone LOL. Just stating what I know. I had no idea they were Techs and My apologies if ill feelings were taken but seriously I have talked with the Techs down @ RCI and this is what they told me and it has worked for me for 10 years why doesn't it work for anyone else? I believe its 2.5VDC if I remember correct. Why change the mixer circuit to handle the higher voltage when you can just align the radio and lower the voltage? Like I said I didn't know they were techs and if there is something that you guys know that works better than cool let me know. Newbie, LOL, Ya OK maybe here but I have been around for a long time Bro theres nothing new about me ;)

Hey RT, I was heading out the door and that was not exactly the right last line I wanted in there so my bad. Sounded great at the moment. I am sure you have been at this for many years as you stated. Later.

Butcher318 said:
Hey RT, I was heading out the door and that was not exactly the right last line I wanted in there so my bad. Sounded great at the moment. I am sure you have been at this for many years as you stated. Later.
Thats OK Bro, I kinda busted right in without completely reading all the posts so thats my bad and you were defending what you thought is right and theres nothing wrong with that ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.