• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

help me decide which radio

brash

Apr 22, 2012
this will be my first radio and i have narrowed it down to a couple, would like you to help me decide. i know its all preference but being new to this i'm just going by what others say right now. do i need any of the features these have, not really. i've used my buddies uniden78 and it worked for what i needed, but i want more goodies.

cre8900, yeticom optima, magnum257

do most of it at work on 11meter, channel 19 and 3. those are what most of the other drivers and plants use. but i would like to do more than just talk to the guys at work

Don't own either, but I would never buy a Magnum 257 over the Yeticom. Just my opinion based on reviews from this site.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Will you be wiring the radio direct to the battery or running off an accessory outlet?

Do you plan on running an amplifier?

What type of antenna do you plan to use?

What are the priorities for your setup?

will be using an accessory outlet. probably no amp. - at least to start-. antenna will do a little more reading to see what people are using. priorities ? - to have a decent setup, good looking, and have a lot of flexability in adjustments

I wouldn't go for the 257HP if you'll be running off the accessory outlet. The Yeticom and CRE 8900 are both good radios but they have small controls and sound like they are overkill for what you are doing. You most likely wouldn't be using all of the features they have available.

You'd be better off with something more like a Magnum S9 most likely. Larger and easier to use controls. Plenty of audio for AM, works well on SSB and the standard dual final should be able to run of a rig accessory outlet although you'd need to check the amperage of the accessory outlet.

I have the Yeticom radio I must say it is a neat little radio It has a fan on the heatsink when you key the mic it comes on pretty nifty...(y)

I have the Yeticom Optima and love it, use it off of the power plug in my Chevy Tahoe, Wilson 5000 top side and I can talk to anyone I hear. Mine does just on the 50 watt line on SSB. Love It Love It Love It

I have the Yeticom Optima and love it, use it off of the power plug in my Chevy Tahoe, Wilson 5000 top side and I can talk to anyone I hear. Mine does just on the 50 watt line on SSB. Love It Love It Love It

So Tucker, do you like it then?? :D

I have one as well, went from a 257 to the Optima. In my books, not even in the same league. I have it mobile with a Wilson 1000 (for now) and it gets out.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.