• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help me pick a new radio please.

longhaireddwb

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
If the right combination comes along from your recommendations I'd buy very soon but I haven't bought new in a long time so I need some help finding what I want.

To start with, I'm a truck driver. I drive a 2017 Kenworth so I only have room for something that is no bigger than a Cobra 29 w/ front mic. The cubby hole is just not big enough for anything else so a 148 or 959 is out of the question.
I'd love to have 100w but 50w would be ok too. Not big on echo or talk-back but I do want a solid SSB radio with good modulation on AM. I do like the bigger meters in the Galaxy radios but that's not a deal breaker. I was looking at the new President radios but not sure if this radio is as solid/good as it used to be or if you can still find them. I do CW and SSB as much as possible but when in the city I need to be able to chat on AM.
I drive a lot in large metro areas so I have to deal with blead-over from adjacent channels so a radio that can cut this out would be a bonus.
The audio on the Stykers is killer and the SSB on the 2510 was the best I've seen besides a real Ham Rig. But the styker wont fit in the hole and I no longer have a 2510 or a 2950. The last 2950 I had had a big heat sink on the bottom (N2 model) and that wont even come close to fitting in the hole. So no heat sink on the bottom of the radio but a small fin on the back should be ok as I managed to get the 706 in there. Barely! LOL.

I put my Icom706 in the truck and was happy but now I'm sharing my truck with a guy that knows nothing about radio and wont leave it alone. I got in this morning and found the rit on, mode on CW and freq on 80 meters and I know he was keying it up saying this radio dont work. Last thing I need is for him the blow the finals out of a great radio because I only have Wilson 2000 antennas on the truck and he wont leave things alone.

So, what do you recommend for me a new radio? Help a brother out to find the right one.

Reactions: br549

,,, edit... I'm sharing my truck with a guy that knows nothing about radio and wont leave it alone...

So, what do you recommend....

Well,........... for starters,........... How about slappin the dawg !@#$ outta your partner.

Look at a rig with a detachable face, (IC7K?) they can be mounted in small places, and, are easily removed to keep grubby fingers off the knobs.

Perhaps a Anyone AT-6666. They are small, put out around 50 watts on side band, and from audio recordings on YouTube sound good. Been thinking of getting one myself. One problem I can see being a problem is that I've heard the heatsink can get real hot. I plan on using it in my pickup, so i can just aim a fan to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: rabbiporkchop
its inclosed in the back. not completely closed but it goes into the panel so no air flow. i can see it getting warm up there in the summer months.

if a radio was to get hot fins then thats probably not going to be a good thing. thanks for pointing that out. i looked at the Yeticom site. they got a few radios there that might work out as long as it dont get too hot with no ventalation.

as far as removing the face... my 706 is that way. But to keep from having to remove it every time and leave it in the truck, i must leave it for the next guy. company policy. otherwise id just pull it out and be safe. but i dont want to have to take it out every night. slapping the ......... out of him is a great option but i dont think its a safe way to go. im pushing 60 now days and hes only 30. im afraid id get the bad end of the stick on that one. lol.

guessing my 706 must not get too hot up there as ive not seen any ill efects with it. of course i run it on proper freqs. bet if i was keying up with a vswr on 20+ it would get warm.

btw, a couple little computer boxes up in that panel too so its not just a tiny cabinet. just not open to air flow.

Sounds like you might better stick to all knobs.... and one band to keep the finals intact.

If you didn't need SSB a Stryker 447HPC2 would fit in the hole with room around it for ventilation.

I looked up that Stryker and its discontinued. I don't think I'd be happy going without SSB. I could go without CW as I don't get the chance for it in the truck much. I dont like trying to key while driving anyway. But thanks for your opinion/recommendation.

it is a company truck and i did think of a slip seat box but the way i feel about it is like this. Ive been driving trucks for 37 years now. i did the box radio, ive taken my stuff in and out of trucks and now im able to leave it all in place. the only thing im worried about is my radio. so i just figured id go with something that will be a little simpler. i will explain to my night driver how it works so less chance of damage. just trying to explain the 706 is way beyond him!

The Yeticom radios look promising. ill just need to findone that doesnt get really hot. i will soon pick one so in the next day or three ill pick a couple and see if anyone has them and can give me there personal opinion on its abilities.

so to start with...
any of those radios suck? are they about as good as a ham tranciever on ssb or am i just wishing?
jerry...

it is a company truck and i did think of a slip seat box but the way i feel about it is like this. Ive been driving trucks for 37 years now. i did the box radio, ive taken my stuff in and out of trucks and now im able to leave it all in place. the only thing im worried about is my radio. so i just figured id go with something that will be a little simpler. i will explain to my night driver how it works so less chance of damage. just trying to explain the 706 is way beyond him!

The Yeticom radios look promising. ill just need to findone that doesnt get really hot. i will soon pick one so in the next day or three ill pick a couple and see if anyone has them and can give me there personal opinion on its abilities.

so to start with...
any of those radios suck? are they about as good as a ham tranciever on ssb or am i just wishing?
jerry...

PM Yeticom he is a forum member or send him an email,he will hook you up (y)

yeticomnz@gmail.com

I dealt with him in the past and my stuff arrived from NZ to the US in 5 days

ive narrowed it down to 2. optima or the lincoln. anyone want to say why i should choose one over the other? i like the idea 9f the fan on the optima to start with. but im still open to opinions.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.