• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help Need Your Input

crkfngr

Sep 17, 2008
I am wanting to drive a 2 pill 2879 Fatboy with a Texas Star Modulator Varable Plus 1 2290 pill. I will be putting 2.5 watts from my SS 158EDX into the modulator, the modulator will be set at 6 watts and swinging 100 watts into the Fatboy which also has a variable. The website says this Fatboy amp can handle 6 to 10 watts dead key, can it handle the 100 watt swing? Will this fry my 2 pill fatboy? I have never tried it before and wanted to ask you guys before I try it and fry something up.

Yeah it just might. Your 158 EDX has all the power you need to drive the Fatboy and the TStar is unnecessary.

This small amp to drive a bigger amp thing usually only applies to a much bigger last stage amp, and one with a high drive input at that.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

BTW....Worf says it's a good day to die
128fs318181.gif

I am wanting to drive a 2 pill 2879 Fatboy with a Texas Star Modulator Varable Plus 1 2290 pill. I will be putting 2.5 watts from my SS 158EDX into the modulator, the modulator will be set at 6 watts and swinging 100 watts into the Fatboy which also has a variable. The website says this Fatboy amp can handle 6 to 10 watts dead key, can it handle the 100 watt swing? Will this fry my 2 pill fatboy? I have never tried it before and wanted to ask you guys before I try it and fry something up.

Against what a lot of people may tell you I would not drive the 2 pill with more than radio. The outcome will be more appeared power and maybe a very small signal increase but it will be a very small signal increase. If you were using a radio that peaked say 14 watts then you would see more of a signal increase but not so much with the radio you are using. Also you would damage the variable on the 2 pill amp in a hurry.
If you want more power you will need a larger amplifier.

I want to thank you guys for the input. I will not put the modulator in line, just the 2 pill with the 158.

Thanks Everyone
Crkfngr

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Tim Chambers:
    Pres. Bill 2 FCC mod just posted
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut: