• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

help the newbee

bookadooka

Oct 8, 2012
I am going to mod a cb. The instructions say to cut 1.5k res. Does this mean to remove it, or to bypass it. The directions say
CUT 1.5K res. next to TR34 - l12,l10
Can anyone clarify this. I cant find any clearer instructions.

There are many people who can help you here but to take full advantage, give as much information as you can like, what is the make, model and year of the cb?

It is a 1988 cobra 21 plus. I am learning little by little, and thought tinkering with an old CB would be a good way to get started in amature radio... at least a dheap way.

I'm sure someone will help with your CB question. But, snipping and clipping resistors in a CB radio has nothing to do with Amateur Radio and is not how you get started in it.

Start by browsing the amateur radio forums here.

Reactions: 1 person
i'm sorry i offended you by saying that i wanted to learn something new. i don't mean to be rude, but why is it that on every radio forum that i have visited in the past couple of weeks, there are people who seem to have a very bad attitude about anyone who wants to ask a question. were you born with a shortwave transceiver in your crib, or did you start somewhere with simpler devices. i know that people will help, so you don't have to tell me that. why did you answer if you have nothing useful to say?. if tinkering with a CB is some kind of Radio God sin... i will make the appropriate sacrifice and beg for forgiveness.
i see the same kind of arrogant attitude in the computer programmers forums.
so again... thank you for your kind help.
:)

I wouldn't call it a bad attitude at all. More of a helpful hint if anything. "were you born with a shortwave transceiver in your crib, or did you start somewhere with simpler devices", now that's an indication that you may be a little too 'touchy' about not knowing/understanding things. It really does help to pay attention to the headings of these sections and how they are grouped.
As for your question, what are you trying to do, or want to find out, and why? That'd certainly help.
- 'Doc

Look...I'm sorry. I have had a bad day and I vented on an innocent bystander under the shield of Anonymity - something I hate when others do it. I appologise for saying arrogant when I don't know you at all.

I am not touchy about my ignorance... I am very aware of it. Calling myself newbee - another word I hate - was my way joking on my ignorance. I have found that learning some electronics from books instead of school or other teacher, leads to some confusion in the language used in descriptions. Words, in other words, that you may not understand unless you have already some practical knowledge.

As for the reason why I want to know - I looked for mods on the particular CB I have, and this was all I found. The word "cut" is the part that has me confused. A potential Pandora's box with no more information than that

I chose this thread on the forum because of its title and description, as well as for other posts titled " help". If I have misunderstood, then I would greatly appriciate a point in the right direction.
-booka

I have no idea what that mod does so can't say it's right or not. I can say that if the word 'cut' is used, it typically means to cut one lead of the part so that it's not 'active' in the circuit anymore. Cutting the lead is better (in my opinion) than destroying the part because it allows you to re-solder it if you change your mind.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.