• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

help using paradynamics PDC 5

docrock

Nov 6, 2012
Hello,
does anyone out there have experience using the Astatic paradynamics PDC 5 antenna matcher? I purchased it some time ago and don't remember if it even came with instructions but can't find them now. An internet search has been fruitless with the exception of some site that wants my credit card number to download the "free manual", not going to do that. I'm particularly interested in using the antenna matching function to get my swr down in certain portions of the 10 meter spectrum.

I had one in the early 90's. I used it on a 2510 in my old pickup running a 102" steel whip. It would help tidy the slight mismatch I had when I went on 11 meters.

It's not gonna transform much. I can't recall specifics, but it's easy to use. I'll look at a pic later and can then tell you how to use it. I think it was rated close to a 100 watts.

In all honesty, it's kinda crappy, but will work to an extent. What is your current SWR where you wish to tune? Does your current rig have an internal bridge?

There are much better options out there that won't break the bank.

Flip the matcher switch to ON. Key up and adjust load for lowest meter reading. When you get it lowest, then adjust the tune knob for lowest deflection. Keep adjusting "tweaking" both knobs for lowest SWR. It has fixed inductance, so no worries there.

Check your SWR first, then switch to matcher setting before adjusting the tune and load. Once you get it low enough, make note of each knobs location for quick tunes in the future.

thanks

thanks duster, I was just looking for a little improvement, didn't expect a 28$ device to tune over a broad spectrum

Ive owned mine for over 20 yrs, great for out in the driveway to tune antenna's cause it's so small. Dont expect it to fix your high SWR's (it wont) you really should just get to the heart of the problem, not a cheap tuner that tricks your reading's.

Duster, I'm using the cre 8900, the internal swr meter seems extremely sensitive, it spikes even when my external Astatic 600 shows swr within acceptable limits.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio