• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HELP WITH DIPOLES AND INVERTED V'S

How many people exactly use a G5RV on bands OTHER than 20M without a tuner? Not all that many, I'd bet.

I think your deluding yourself on that one,nearly every ham forum post,publication,dealer advertisement has people claiming it as a multiband antenna.Which means REACTANCE.

As far as "calling" it a resonant antenna, let's define resonance, shall we? It means that the antenna, at a given frequency, exhibits equal amounts of inductive reactance and capacitive reactance. ANY antenna that exhibits this characteristic IS RESONANT at that frequency. A true G5RV is indeed resonant on or near 14 MHz.

Yes lets,an antenna with those characteristics has NO reactance at all,because opposite and equal reactances cancel each other out,the only charactreistic left is purely resistive at resonance,made up from radiation resistance and loss resistance.

The G5RV was designed from the ground up as a 20 meter antenna, and, as I said earlier, the fact that it can be used with a tuner on other bands with passable results is just a bonus.

Not exactly what 80% at least of hams claim,who state it is a magical multiband antenna with gain all over the place,when in reality on most bands it is average if that,no doubt made worse by the need to use lossy matching systems.What an antenna is designed for and what the MAJORITY of hams use it for is miles apart.

So like I said to claim an antenna as resonant unless you only use it on one band is ridiculous as most people see it as a multiband answer to everything antenna when they plug their magic atu in.Because lets face it most of them think if the atu says 1:1 vswr it must be good.thats the reality.

I suggest you google g5rv and count how many articles claim it to be a monoband antenna,and then count how many claim it to be a 160-10m band cover all magical antenna,i think you'll be astonished.

jazzsinger,
Since when does the popularity of an antenna, or misconceptions about what it's capable of doing and ~why~, change facts about that particular antenna? Since when is advertising the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth (so help my bank account!)? [Pick a number, 'X', between 1 and 100 before proceeding.] Since when can 'X'% of people NOT be mistaken?
And a very nice play on words with the English language, "Is not", is not, "Not is". Think about that one when you don't have anything better to do.
- 'Doc

So like I said to claim an antenna as resonant unless you only use it on one band is ridiculous as most people see it as a multiband answer to everything antenna when they plug their magic atu in.Because lets face it most of them think if the atu says 1:1 vswr it must be good.thats the reality.

I suggest you google g5rv and count how many articles claim it to be a monoband antenna,and then count how many claim it to be a 160-10m band cover all magical antenna,i think you'll be astonished.
------------------------------------
I'm not disputing the fact that there are wild claims about the G5RV. With the current newcomers to amateur radio these claims are only increasing - and many if not most of these newcomers are disappointed in their ability to make contacts BECAUSE of their choice of antenna.

I've been licensed for fifty years - been there, done that for a long time. Once I thought it was my call to try to elmer the young lions, but now they have all the wisdom of the ages at their fingertips (called Wikipedia). That tells them all the wonders of the G5RV, and it's on the Internet so it must be true. A lot of them will drop out of radio because they refuse to learn. So be it.

jazzsinger,
Since when does the popularity of an antenna, or misconceptions about what it's capable of doing and ~why~, change facts about that particular antenna? Since when is advertising the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth (so help my bank account!)? [Pick a number, 'X', between 1 and 100 before proceeding.] Since when can 'X'% of people NOT be mistaken?
And a very nice play on words with the English language, "Is not", is not, "Not is". Think about that one when you don't have anything better to do.
- 'Doc

What facts exactly ?

I'm well aware is not is not not is,you don't need to punctuate to highlight stuff for me,I have a very good grasp of the English language.Incidentaly your punctuation is as flawed as your assumption a G5rv is a resonant antenna,lol.You wouldn't have a capital I after a coma unless it was a proper name,the pronoun I or a few other terms like the name of a holiday,a language,religious term,nationality,a brand name etc.And all those coma's are unecessary too.

I never said large percentage's of people couldn't be wrong,thousands are when they claim the Antron 99 to be a decent antenna,seeing as it's only half an antenna and pretty lousy one at that unless you know what you are doing to add the missing pieces the manufacturer was too cheap too supply and know how to choke and isolate it,otherwise it's an excellent source of rfi and coaxial radiation with diminished efficiency.

As for a G5rv,how can you seriously claim an antenna that is resonant on only one frequency,if built properly,and thats a huge if,but in most cases used on thousands of frequencies to be a resonant antenna ? Resonance only happens when there is no reactance because the capacitive and inductive reactances have cancelled each other out leaving only pure resistance.How many frequencies exactly does that occur on on a G5rv ?

A "quarter wave length" doesn't tell us much since this is a multiband antenna apparently. Quarter wave on which band?

This post you made earlier apparently,lol,seems to contradict your monoband description of the G5rv in later posts,I understand you feel the need to stand up for your mate Doc,but I'm sure he is big enough and ugly enough to stand up for himself,how long you've been a licensed amateur has no relevance to this debate,I know people who have been licensed for decades who can't solder a pl259 plug correctly.They still don't solder the shield,or more correctly can't solder the shield.

It's not only newcomers disappointed in their contacts going by the amount of old timers who are constantly changing radio's but are too ignorant to realise it's their antenna system that sucks.Not everyone that is young is thick or relies on Wikipedia,some are very smart cookies,to make sweeping generalisations like that gives off a hint of jealousy.Not all of them are unwilling to learn either,but the reality is there aren't that many people they can actually learn from because the internet,amateur bands and cb bands are full of bullshitters propagating myths on subjects quite frankly they know f*ck all about.As my learned friend Bob 85 says,bullshit is 50 cent a gallon eveywhere you look.That includes many many old timers as well as young lions.

Oh great learned one, you are correct and I am incorrect. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! And, "Ubi est ignus?", just for the hell of it. Happy now?
- 'Doc

Hey, Beetle, you got any more of that 50 cents/gal stuff, I just used my last drop.

As for a G5rv,how can you seriously claim an antenna that is resonant on only one frequency,if built properly,and thats a huge if,but in most cases used on thousands of frequencies to be a resonant antenna ?

Jazzsinger, you're getting hung up on specific words and not reading the full context of what is being said. Any antenna is resonant at some frequency, which is why you can say the G5RV is a resonant antenna. Noone is saying a G5RV is resonant at every frequency that some ham might attempt to use it at. Any antenna may be called a multi-band antenna that presents a low SWR on more than one band because it allows you to use it on those bands if you desire to do so. That doesn't mean it is resonant on all of those bands, nor does it mean that it will work very well on all of those bands. I didn't read anything that 'Doc or Beetle wrote that said it was resonant on multiple bands, BTW. I don't know where you're getting your information that says that 80% of hams claim the G5RV has all kinds of gain and is the most wonderful antenna ever. I've seen stuff written on the internet that is dubious, but most of the hams I know on HF use something else. In fact, I've only ever seen one ham in my area that has a G5RV up. I'm sure he understands what it is and is willing to live with the compromise.

Oh great learned one, you are correct and I am incorrect. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! And, "Ubi est ignus?", just for the hell of it. Happy now?
- 'Doc

Hey, Beetle, you got any more of that 50 cents/gal stuff, I just used my last drop.

Just brewing up a fresh batch! Thought I'd sit and listen to the jazz concert. Pass the popcorn! ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.