• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help with first HF rig

I have been told HF Rigs sound like crap on 11m?

Some are worse than others and some are tolerable. ALC and AM don't mix well. If you use it on AM don't expect a lot of modulation. The more the ALC meter moves the worse it sounds. ALC and AMC are often used interchangeably but there is a difference.

If you want to talk 11 meter AM you'll be better off with a CB. For the amateur bands you can pipe some external audio gear into an older solid state HF rig (not through the mic jack) and get that warm smooth sound. You will need to do something about the ALC and/or run the carrier level low. You don't even want to see the ALC meter wiggle on AM. An external peak limiter is your new mod limiter.

If you are wanting a radio that will cover 160m through 2m for
$500.00 you will be buying an older radio, or a very expensive new radio. The IC-746 and the IC-746 Pro are good choices. If you don't have your ham ticket save your money and buy a Ranger 2970 DX Mobile Radio.

The radios I mentioned are the only ones I have personally owned. The 2970 Always got complements on 10 meters plus they have 200 Watts output. PEP or RMS I don't recall. The person I sold it to had the conversion done and he always gets complements on 11 meters. It's legal in his country.

Last edited:
If you are wanting a radio that will cover 160m through 2m for
$500.00 you will be buying an older radio, or a very expensive new radio. The IC-746 and the IC-746 Pro are good choices. If you don't have your ham ticket save your money and buy a Ranger 2970 DX Mobile Radio.

The radios I mentioned are the only ones I have personally owned. The 2970 Always got complements on 10 meters plus they have 200 Watts output. PEP or RMS I don't recall. The person I sold it to had the conversion done and he always gets complements on 11 meters. It's legal in his country.

I've had several 2950/2970 ranger series...I'm always going to have a place for 11 meters but looking forward to getting my General and moving on to a HF rig

Reactions: Tallman
What older all mode radios are worth a look? Is $500 not enough? Or can I get a bit cheaper on say a ts 440?

New one on me. What country?

I've had several 2950/2970 ranger series...I'm always going to have a place for 11 meters but looking forward to getting my General and moving on to a HF rig

You will enjoy it much more than just CB band. It seems like skip is always on at least one band or another. Do the smart thing which I did not know at the time, study for all three licenses and take them all in one day. A lot of the information is repetitive and the main things are power levels and bandwidths being the main concerns. You can make a triple play! If you need recommendations for study materials let me know. I used an online study site. If you don't pass you can get a refund. It is not just teaching the test either.

England only certain modes and power levels.

27.500-28.000 MHz
METEOROLOGICAL AIDS (sondes)
MOBILE except aeronautical MobileGovernment use.
Citizen Band Radio Equipment within the band 26.960-28.000 MHz.

UMmmmmmm......that radio is still not legal to use in England. Kind of like saying it is legal to run ham gear on 11m here if you keep the power low. Yes they use FM on the freeband frequencies but they are restricted to 4 watts and must have approved radios.

Kenwood TS-430S
Basic Stock Radio
Mars, 60M & 10Hz Mods Done
Radio works 100%
Comes w/Mike, Manual
and DC Power Cord
$325 shipped conUS
Listing #1231667 - Submitted on 11/15/15 by Callsign N5NGC, Modified on 11/27/15 - IP: 99-42-147-60.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net
Click Here to Email -- Send this Ad to a Friend

Kenwood TS-430S HF Transceiver For Sale
Classic HF Transceiver 160-10, all modes. Works great, no menus to fool with. Stable and sensitive. YK-88S filter, Alinco ems-42 mic (sounds great and same mic pinout as Kenwood), original manual, and newer full length power cord. $325. US only. Paypal preferred or USPS mo.
Listing #1233197 - Submitted on 11/23/15 by Callsign NY4D, Modified on 11/24/15

TS-530S
TS-530S runs great, full power is 110W. Power supply recapped. Trying to downsize. Additional pictures available upon request. $350 plus shipping. Just a great rig. Still available!
Listing #1220954 - Submitted on 09/17/15 by Callsign K1PGS, Modified on 11/22/15

Just a few examples: These adds appear on QTH.com classifies...Just takes a little effort once the budget is set...
GL
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

Reactions: 222DBFL and Bearcat

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.