• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help with INDOOR SW antenna?

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
I would like to use any wire i have laying around to build a indoor SW antenna.

First the radio used for SWL is my Yaesu FT757GX2...

I have plenty of Coax to use for the antenna just need some ideas.<proof>

IT HAS TO BE USED IN MY SHACK, i cannot have it out side.:censored:

Thanks for the help.

In 1958, before I got my Novice license, I bought a second-hand Hallicrafters SX-99 receiver which covered AM BC up through around 34 MHz. It looked great just sitting on my desk, but without an antenna I couldn't hear anything but local (Las Vegas NV) AM stations.

So I took some 22 gauge solid insulated wire, which was what I had available. (The insulation was white with a green tracer, which might have helped...:whistle: ). I ran it diagonally across the ceiling of my bedroom, supported by a thumbtack on the far end, the ceiling light fixture in the middle and a thumbtack in the corner nearest my desk. From there it dropped just about straight down to the desk and the antenna terminals of the SX-99. It was about 15 feet long, overall.

What a difference! In half an hour, I'd logged a dozen stations on SW, including Radio Moscow, HCJB (Quito, Ecuador), Radio Australia, Deutsche Welle, BBC, Radio Japan ... and I still have their QSL cards and letters!

Your antenna doesn't necessarily HAVE to be any different, although with all the man-made electrical noise that's so prevalent, you might not be as lucky as I was.

Two final points: this was in 1958, during the biggest, most spectacular solar cycle in radio history if not in recorded, pre-SWL history. This was a great time to be involved in any sort of shortwave listening or hamming. CB hadn't come along yet. AND, we generally shun a house covered with stucco because of the shielding effect the chicken wire holding the stucco presents. My parents' house was stuccoed. And that 15-foot wire STILL worked!

Experiment. See what works.

No one answered if it will perform better than using a 10m vert ? How about the wire along the ceiling ? How do I hook that to the so239 ???

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

No one answered if it will perform better than using a 10m vert ? How about the wire along the ceiling ? How do I hook that to the so239 ???

Yes place it along the ceiling and it will out perform a vertical antenna out of the vertical's range and just connect the wire to the center conductor of the so-239

Reactions: 1 person
Yes place it along the ceiling and it will out perform a vertical antenna out of the vertical's range and just connect the wire to the center conductor of the so-239

Does the other end connect to the ground or no ?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.