• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help with palomar amp

Differnce between low and high drive amps are more to do with the modulated pep power and a how much dead key it takes to get the amp to key at approx 1/4 of the total output. To turn down the dead key there are a few ways, add a tip120 which will give you variable dead key and still maintain full pep power or there is the cap and resistor mod which lowers the dead key of the radio to a certain level depending on be resistor used. The variable is the better route to go but is harder to do than the resistor and cap mod. personally I would leave your radio alone and try the new amp with the way the radio is currently setup. I will also say this, if you place the amp in line and the swr reading goes up you may have to play with different jumper lenghts, I have found in instances like this that a 9 or 12ft jumper works well. If it is long, just make large coils with it. Not saying this will happen, but it's possible. Your radio is stock so you shouldn't have any issue with just adding the amp and talking. They are good little amps. Anyway glad to hear you got a new toy coming now and like I said you should be a happy camper. Good day.
Ok I have my new amp now for use on a base in the home with a 35 amp power supply I got the tnt 350 hd they say it is important to ground the amp how should I do that and also there is no fuse on the power line and if it needs to be added what size fuse ?

What is the amperage output of the power supply rated at?

For an amp like the Palomar, you will need about 25 amp rating; as much as 30A to run cool.
If your supply isn't putting out enough amps for that amp when keyed; then that might explain the relay hum. Or the relay has gone belly up. Or your power wires feeding the amp are too small of a gauge to carry the load. Start there witht the power supply end - first.

Last edited:
What is the amperage output of the power supply rated at?

For an amp like the Palomar, you will need about 25 amp rating; as much as 30A to run cool.
If your supply isn't putting out enough amps for that amp when keyed; then that might explain the relay hum. Or the relay has gone belly up. Or your power wires feeding the amp are too small of a gauge to carry the load. Start there witht the power supply end - first.
The palomar is out of commission right now it did work fine but only pre amp works on it now. The Power supply is it 35 amp rating I have a TnT 350 hd new I wanted to know what size fuse to use on the power wire to the TnT and the site said it should be grounded where should I ground it?
$T2eC16JHJIYE9qUcN,yDBRb1KTrdp!~~60_12.jpg

The amp just needs to be hooked to the supply. If you would like to use an in line fuse get one from a stereo shop and get a fuse rated a 1.5 times more than the amp will pull. I believe that amp can draw about 30amps. So a 40-50amp fuse should be used. Also keep the runs of power short. As far as grounding the amp, they state it needs a good ground, this is for mobile setup. You are using a power supply, so red to red black to black. In a mobile a good ground would be a seat to frame bolt sanded down to bare metal to metal. You shouldn't need to run a ground like that for use with a power supply. Watch for viltage drop with that supply. If the voltage dips bad when you key the amp or are modulating be careful as you can damage both the amp and supply. Hope this helps some.

Reactions: 357magnum
The amp just needs to be hooked to the supply. If you would like to use an in line fuse get one from a stereo shop and get a fuse rated a 1.5 times more than the amp will pull. I believe that amp can draw about 30amps. So a 40-50amp fuse should be used. Also keep the runs of power short. As far as grounding the amp, they state it needs a good ground, this is for mobile setup. You are using a power supply, so red to red black to black. In a mobile a good ground would be a seat to frame bolt sanded down to bare metal to metal. You shouldn't need to run a ground like that for use with a power supply. Watch for viltage drop with that supply. If the voltage dips bad when you key the amp or are modulating be careful as you can damage both the amp and supply. Hope this helps some.
Great thanks big help I am up and running now.

Any trouble with the amp?? Or does it work as Intended??
Seems to be running fine low it's pulling about 15 amps high about 25 amps runs cool not heating up at all. swr is about 1 checked swr at the radio then after the amp still maintains 1 or a hair higher I have a Antron 99 on a 50 ft tower with no ground plain would it be worth putting one on ? I have 3 base stations 2000 gtl ,Washington and Aircomand cb 1040 all stock no work done to them. Went on skip and had many calling back to me. Not sure what it is putting out for power but it's doing the job.

Good to hear. They really are good little amps that can last a long time if treated well. Have fun with it.

Nice Marantz Aircommand base station in the photo, thanks.
Thanks My father got it new sometime in the 70's works great it was stored away for a while and I wondered what happen to it sure enough I found it .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.