• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HF Amplifier

Command Technologies and QRO were once the same company. There was a split between the owners and QRO was started.

If I remember the story correctly, the split was over Eimac and Russian tubes and Hipersil transformers......but don't quote me.

Command Technologies and QRO were once the same company. There was a split between the owners and QRO was started.

If I remember the story correctly, the split was over Eimac and Russian tubes and Hipersil transformers......but don't quote me.

That makes perfect sense to me.The product looks similar and even at least one model has the same model number,the HF-2500. Command Tech uses Eimac tubes while QRO uses the Russian tubes so I would have to say that there is some fact in what you say.I always suspected that was the case but had no "inside" info to support it.

Ameritron makes a nice amp.Had a new Al-1200 for 8 years no problems.Now have a new AL-80B with 1 x 3-500ZG tube.Love this small amp.

Picked up an AL-80B myself, bang for the buck, it's a great amp. I get a kW out of it on plain 120 wiring too, which surprised me. It would be much happier on 220 when I get around to it.

SR385,
Put the thing on 220/240 volts, it does very well. Won't get any more out of it, just makes it easier on the house wiring (if yours is like my house wiring), and operates more efficiently, sort of. The plate voltage really gets 'stiffer'.

If the objective is as much power as legally possible with the least worries, the AL-1200 is really about as good as it gets. That 3CX1200 is a very 'easy going' tube, not as 'touchy' as the 3CX1500 is (grid dissipation).

Ten-Tec makes some nice amplifiers. Nothing particularly outstanding about them (or a lot of the other manufacturers for that matter), and one or two are very nice looking too. Prettier than an old HeathKit or Ameritron or whatever. But that's cosmetics, not anything to do with what it can/will do electrically.

What would I really like to see in a new amplifier? How about just pushing a 'disassembly' button and it just un-folds so you don't have to take half of the @#$ thing apart to reach that one itty-bitty stinking cap to replace it?? I'm holding my breath in anticipation!
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.