• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hi all i am looking for good Base Antenna

is this true

Maco is a good antenna and works just as well. Mine was more impacted by wet weather than I would have liked
with the swr changing. There are many who have not had this problem :censored: from a another form.

i liked my v5000. worked like it should. just don't buy the patriot antenna. it's advertised as a mini a99. it sucks, don't waste your money.

I think that antennas are all about how much you can spend.
Some are better for the money than others.
I'm looking at getting a PDL II quad beam w/rotor in my neighborhood that hasn't been used in years.
Should be dirt cheap...
But If I had a $300 budget for an antenna; I would bet the Joe Gun 'Smoking Gun II'.
Beams are better than verticals; and it is better to have a beam and a vertical - then just a vertical alone.
That is; if skip talkin is what you like to do.

What is the budget for your setup?

I have the Interceptor 10K and i think it's just an ACE antenna it blows away the Imax2000 that i had for 12 years. The I-10K also stands up to the high winds in the UK..

So it's the Interceptor that get's my vote.. I'm the only one in the UK south that has one so far, so it's also nice to be different too.

Budget constraints will always compromise what antenna one chooses. With a large budget, I would get a single quad beam and a rotor. Or a Interceptor 10K for an omni-directional antenna. Money spent is always the issue; right? More importantly, is that the antenna is the most important piece of gear as well. Money spent there in a budget goes and talks the farthest...

But out of the three mentioned; I would go with the Maco. Unless you wanted to spend less money and get the same performance and get the IMAX2000. I've been running one for the last year - and have no complaints at all. Very easy to set up. I've talked to every corner of the US in this past year - including Hawaii and Alaska. Haven't got Florida or Maine yet; but I will put it up another 10 feet and see what happens this year (I'm running my IMAX at 28 ft from the ground surface to the feed point of the antenna at this time...). Oddly enough, there are a lot of contacts that I've made accross the US that also were running the lowly IMAX. It is really not as bad as some have claimed; but not as good as others have tried to make it - too. Well worth the money...

Last edited:
i would go with the maco 5/8 if you are not going to run a lot of power. Otherwise go with the maco 5000. I have the 5/8 and it works great in my opion it out performs the imax 2000 which i used to have.

Whatever you do, stay away from the IMAX 2000. Unless your out in the boonies with no interference from things. I like the antenna, but I've had nothing but trouble with noise on it. Good luck in your antenna hunt.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.