• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hi, I'm new in this forum

HI I'm new as well

I also plan to take the test, their is a web page or I should say may out thier that will give you the test and answers for the tech test. just type in ham test and you should get a few that will give you a practice test. I don't have the web page but send me a e-mail and I will send it to you.
rcaptaint2001@hotmail.com good luck(y)

I'm thinking about buying a Yaesu FT-270R handheld as my first radio.

I talked to several of the guys at the meeting last night and they told me that there were 3 repeaters in my area that I could contact them on the 2 meter band. I was also told to make sure to get a radio that had CTCSS capability because those repeaters needed that.

What I'm wondering is the Yaesu FT-270R a good beginner's radio?

I don't know enough about amateur radio to tell you what all I want to do. But I want to get on the air and talk to some of the local club members and hopefully learn more about amateur radio before I buy an expensive HF transceiver.

I also plan on building or buying an antenna for the handheld when I'm using it at home. Does that sound like a good plan for me to follow?

Thanks,

What I'm wondering is the Yaesu FT-270R a good beginner's radio?

It is, as you've probably found out already, a basic 2 meter radio. It's nothing fancy, and there's nothing wrong with that. Before buying a single band radio, you should check to see if there is any activity on the other vhf/uhf bands, like 220 or 440. If there is activity, you may want to go with a dual band radio.

I also plan on building or buying an antenna for the handheld when I'm using it at home. Does that sound like a good plan for me to follow?

That will certainly increase your range, which is important. At some point, you will probably want to purchase a regular mobile 2 meter rig and a power supply to use in the house. That will be easier to use and also give you a lot more output power.

It is, as you've probably found out already, a basic 2 meter radio. It's nothing fancy, and there's nothing wrong with that. Before buying a single band radio, you should check to see if there is any activity on the other vhf/uhf bands, like 220 or 440. If there is activity, you may want to go with a dual band radio.

That will certainly increase your range, which is important. At some point, you will probably want to purchase a regular mobile 2 meter rig and a power supply to use in the house. That will be easier to use and also give you a lot more output power.

Would a Yeasu FT-1900R mobile 2 meter rig be a good choice? If so, I was considering that one.

Would a Yeasu FT-1900R mobile 2 meter rig be a good choice? If so, I was considering that one.

Once again, see my comments about a 2 meter only rig. But, that's a fine radio, too. Another thing to consider about a 2 meter only HT is that if you travel, you may go to an area that has a lot of 440 activity, so it's nice to have that option.

Before buying a single band radio, you should check to see if there is any activity on the other vhf/uhf bands, like 220 or 440. If there is activity, you may want to go with a dual band radio.

Do you have any models you would recommend that I look at?

I'm hearing and reading many different suggestions. Now I've got to decide.

I've learned that I definitely want a dual band.

I called a local Amateur Radio member in my area and talked to him for a while. He recommended I get a Yaesu FT-7900R.

I might just buy that unless I hear some critical comments about it.

Hello,

I'm new here also.

Been a ham since 4/2009. My grandfather has been a ham since 1947. Found this forum and looking to get some answers on IRLP. I have a Kenwood TM-V71 for a base radio with a diamond dual-band antenna on the roof. I usually get on the local (Los Angeles) 2M/440 repeaters and echolink so I have made lots of friends via radio. I am now trying to explore using repeaters for IRLP. A ham friend recommended I check the IRLP node status page and contact the Node owners if I want to use their node. My questions are:
How do you use IRLP? DTMF controls of the repeater like controlling a remote base? Thanks

Cheers

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.