• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

History of Citizen's Band Radio!

Thanks for the link. Were those Vocaline radios a 1 channel only? I didn't see a channel selector. Also were there other brands other than Vocaline for the class B radios?

What about class A radios?

vocaline information
Vocaline JRC-400, JRC-425

according to this:
27 Megacycle History in the U
UHF CB languished for about ten years, then it was killed when 27MHz CB became available in 1958.

UHF radio really didnt comercially exist in the 50's. PLL circuits werent in production until early 70's. So any tube UHF radios made in the 50's were drifting 100's of KHz at least.

Class A CB is now known as GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service).

Understand this, my understanding is in the beginning you had two types of radios....class A and class B. I've always wanted to see a class A or B radio...it appears the Vocaline JRC-400 is a class B radio, was wondering what a class A radio looked like.

vocaline information
Vocaline JRC-400, JRC-425

according to this:
27 Megacycle History in the U
UHF CB languished for about ten years, then it was killed when 27MHz CB became available in 1958.

UHF radio really didnt comercially exist in the 50's. PLL circuits werent in production until early 70's. So any tube UHF radios made in the 50's were drifting 100's of KHz at least.

Thanks. Of interest, I did some research on the Vocaline and came across a website that indicated it was made about 1960. The link you provided shows the owners book was copyrighted 1961. So it almost sounds as if class B actually existed after 1958. Although from the sounds of it, it wasn't a very good service then.

I guess I got into 'CB' pretty early (1962), but I obtained a pair of NOS Vocaline radios several years ago. Never powered them up, they're just for my small collection of old radios.

CB was pretty cool back in the 60s and early 70s, before it got too crowded - had a lot of fun times.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.