• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

History Question

Do you know what Happened at the Bikini Atoll

• Yes

Votes: 22 84.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters

AudioShockwav

Extraterrestrial
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nor Cal Sierra Nevada
Last night at a get together with a bunch of friends, during the course of the evening, one of the guys ( an older retired Air force man) mentioned something about the Marshall Islands, more specific the Bikini Atoll.
I was surprised by the lack of knowledge by many of the younger person`s there that had no Idea what/were/it was and what happened there.
So here is a Question.
( and I trust you will answer BEFORE you use Google to see what the subject is)
Do you know what happened there and the impact it had on those who lived there ?
The result of the poll is not public, so no one will know who answered yes or no.
We can have a round-table about it later afterwards if you like, although it may wind up in a another section before it is over.
Thank you for reading, and your reply

54 years, served in the air force. traveled all over the Asian area. spent months in PI. married a pacific islander, so yes I do know. some of what happened was a surprise. I won't spoil it by saying more!!

I was actually stationed on ENIWETOK when I was i ACU-1.

Nothing there except sun and sand and sun and sun and, ect.....

Assault Craft Unit ONE (ACU 1)

In 1977 the United States Congress mandated a three year humanitarian project commencing 15 May 1977 to restore Enewetak Atoll, a United States nuclear test site during the 1940's and 1950's, to as near it's pre-test condition as possible and to make it environmentally safe for the resettlement by the Enewetak people. United States Army, Navy and Air Force contingents under a Commander Joint Task Groups, along with civilian contractors, and headed by the Defense Nuclear Agency, was assigned to accomplish this task. The Naval Element of this Task Group was largely manned and supported by Assault Craft Unit ONE.

... that's where the bikini came from, ain't it?

Hold your calls folks, we have a winner!

...and now for the bonus round, can you name this model?

(No voting from the bathroom please)

Attachments

• Bikini.jpg
    Bikini.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 223
Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.