• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Horizontal beam Vs Vertical beam

darticus

Oct 17, 2011
Horizontal beam Vs Vertical beam
I have a used Maco Comet 6 Element beam which is really 3 elements vertical and 3 elements horizontal. I guess you use either vertical or horizontal but which one to pic. Is one good for one thing and the other used for something else? Can both be hooked to the radio? If I was to use one which would it be? Thanks Ron

Attachments

• 20131005_1.JPG
    20131005_1.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 8

Normally, vertical polarization is used for local ground wave contacts, horizontal is for long distance sky wave dx. I am not familiar with how your beam is hooked up. It might require two coax runs, but I doubt it. Most dual polarization beams have some sort of switching controller to allow you to flip back and forth between horizontal and vertical.

RT307

Beams that have both vertical and horizontal polarizations will require two coax cables and an antenna switch. You will use the switch to choose between either polarization. Which polarization you choose will have different signal strength depending on the location and polarization of the signal that is arriving at your antenna at any given moment. Signal polarization can shift in short period of time depending upon conditions.

One can convert a dual polarized beam to a single cable by building a tuning harness. This will change the beam into 'circular polarization' by allowing both polarizations working together with a 90 degree phasing difference; some loss of signal strength due to cancellations will be a consequence. But it will also allow for all signals whether they be vertically or horizontally polarized to be received/transmitted with using one single feed cable. At least, that is how I have understood it.

polcir.gif

Personally, I would just run two separate cables and a switch and utilize all of the gain that each antenna polarization can provide - IMO . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I notice this is written under Amateur Radio heading. 100% of the Ham's use Horizontal Polarization for 10 Meters for better DXing.

However, to answer your question: You can use two seperate cable runs as 2RT307 discussed. Or, you can use both simultanusly and have Ciricular Polarization. (This is something used by Hams at 2 Meters and up for satellite communications to overcome satellite tumbling.) This requires a special cable harness that I could dig up if your interested. Two other thing to consider: Do you want Righthand or Lefthand Polarization? If you transmit with Righthand, then the receiving station needs lefthand, or the other way around. Also, consider that circular polarization reduces power by 3 dB (or half) since power is split between the two antennas.

Just something to know and consider.

Beams that have both vertical and horizontal polarizations will require two coax cables and an antenna switch. You will use the switch to choose between either polarization. Which polarization you choose will have different signal strength depending on the location and polarization of the signal that is arriving at your antenna at any given moment. Signal polarization can shift in short period of time depending upon conditions.

One can convert a dual polarized beam to a single cable by building a tuning harness. This will change the beam into 'circular polarization' by allowing both polarizations working together with a 90 degree phasing difference; some loss of signal strength due to cancellations will be a consequence. But it will also allow for all signals whether they be vertically or horizontally polarized to be received/transmitted with using one single feed cable. At least, that is how I have understood it.

polcir.gif

Personally, I would just run two separate cables and a switch and utilize all of the gain that each antenna polarization can provide - IMO . . .

Circular polarization - YouTube

I would double output power and plus,a CP beam antenna designed right can have significant gain figures

Sorry, you will not double your power. And a CP antenna will always have less gain than a non-CP antenna of the same configuration.

Having both polarizations available with the flip of a switch can certainly help in some instances. Typically, when signals of one polarization are fading, they are getting stronger in the opposite polarization. Not in each and every case, but it's generally true.
That polarization changing can be done using a switch and two feed lines, or by using one feed line to the antenna and the switching done there. Which ever is easiest for you...
- 'Doc

Just double transmitter output power and bla'bling!!

That's what I meant. Didn't mean any confusion here. I'm still going to build one. Why? Because it's there. Something 99.999% of CB'er's don't have. With switching I can still have a neat vert/horiz beam antenna.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.