• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

horizontal quad,now need vertical?

...i also read somewhere they used the same wire and 2 feed points..it said the seperation didnt bother the full wave..but others didnt like the idea.so i kinda left that idea also..:bdh:

I dunno about the "others", but,......

take a close look at the feed system on an older PDL-II and/or a later "V" quad antenna.

I like a quad also, got a two element built up and ready to install, now just need to find the time ti put up another tower to put it on.

I install mine vertical polarized, and use a co phased delta loop for horizontal dx on 10 meters. ( works on 11 also).

Delta Loop for HF

would this delta loop/triangle work on the side of my tower below the quad..i have a bracket that i can extend 10ft away from the tower if it could work..i could add to my dipole and be done kwik..

wondering if i installed a bedliner/nylon piece 12 inches wide or so and seperated the tower from the edge of the astroplane if it would help my swr,s on it..it recieves great,just has a 2.1 swr..maybe a tuner would be a good investment and keep the a.plane on the tower?

really just want to add another antenna or 2 to my existing tower,that can and will work ok. not wanting to clutter it up tho.

I am not familiar with the AP antenna, maybe HomerBB or Marconi can add to this post they know that antenna.

It does seem that there has to be a certain length of mast pipe for the AP and being close to other metal objects will influence the resonance of the antenna.

I use dacron rope and pulleys to suspend my co-phased Delta loops in the air.

As far as Clutter???????

Use that tower to support as many antennas as you like, It becomes the main support for your growing antenna farm.

Once you discover the fun and excitement of building wire antennas and making contacts on a simple yet effective piece of wire your back yard may look like a dream catcher to the neighbors

Last edited:
the wife said that to me a few weeks ago before i cleaned up a bit,,looked like a dream catcher.lmao..
i gonna forget about it for now and just get loose ends tied up like grounding my tower,and the winch for raising it up and down to the same ground..
maybe build another quad for vertical and use this other rotor after a few repairs to turn it...

the wife said that to me a few weeks ago before i cleaned up a bit,,looked like a dream catcher.lmao..

TO funny.

The neighbors will see me building another antenna, walk over and ask me if I have talked to the space station yet??

I just tell them I need to put up another antenna for that frequency:oops:

so its like tools,you can never have too many,haha
interesting article on the array..
im hooked because of the 2 element quad and wanna stay with it too now..

did i ask this already....if the dipole i have was hung on pvc in line vertically with the feed in the center would this be vertical or am i backwards.. ifi its vertical then im sticking it out the top of the quad boom way up high and gonna try it.

It would be vertical but you have to worry about cmc and coupling to your coax,.

Google vertical dipole and you should come up with some results.

Or just stick an antron 99 out the top of the mast and call it done, it will skew the pattern of the quad some but not to bad

Last edited:
Have you considered keeping the quad reflector and director, but using crossed yagis for the driven element? The two yagis can be fed simultaneously to produce either a horizontal or vertical signal, or even circular polarization. Two coaxial switches will allow control of what mode the antenna operates.
Much of signal fade is caused by cross polarization. Being able to switch remotely could improve reception considerably.
Operating circular is argued to have a 3dB signal loss immediately, but I feel that it eliminates the 20-30dB loss during cross polarization. Thus it could be argued to have 20dB gain over a single polarity. Its overall performance during signal fade should shine compared to either linear polarity alone.

is there any pics,or a link to these crossed yagis? is this something that can be mount in the center of the quad i have now,meaning near the horizontal part of my boom?flat inbetween the elements?
my 2 elements are made to slide and be removed or turned or added toeasly..
i def dont want a 30 ft set of yagi beams like a buddy has..it works great but dont really want "big"like that..

someone may have mentioned this,dont wanna re read everything lol..if so sorry,but you got me intrested..or im understanding better should i say.
how big an x would i need inbetween elements?

if theres no link or pics for me to understand,i can never prob build it..ive searched for crossed yagis but need to word it diffrent i guess..no luck

TO funny.

The neighbors will see me building another antenna, walk over and ask me if I have talked to the space station yet??

I just tell them I need to put up another antenna for that frequency:oops:

I just tell them "Well yes I have as a matter of fact but there was no challenge to it. I'm now working on an antenna to work the hard stuff." :D

Reactions: 1 person
is this what your talking about..this pic..use the 2 center crossed sections.
if thats the case,can the yagis be shaped like my quad,or leave the quad crossed in the center like it is,then use the yagis x design 2 elements between the quad..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.