• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HOUSTIN......WE HAVE A PROBLEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butcher318

Apr 13, 2005
About a month ago I purchased a Magnum S3 on the forum here, and it was still like new in the box and still wrapped in plastic. Taz had informed me that Justin had tuned and converted it. The radio sounds great and has exellent ears and I am very pleased with it. I was getting ready to sell it and get an S9 because I wanted SSB. I had my local tech bench it with his bird and scope, the radio was doing 40 watts into a dummy load at 14 volts. We started to view the scope with the Top Gun on and off and saw no difference, thinking it was not working I watched Max take the cover off to see what was up. Well well well, the Top Gun board has been removed and the switch is a dead switch with nothing but two gray clipped wires at the end. So now I have a nice sounding gutted radio.
At this point I gues i'm just stuck with it because I cannot now sell it here on the forum in good faith. I don't really know what to do here, Taz was a great guy to deal with he seems on the up and up. Justin also seems to know his stuff and is a stand up guy as well. Something went wrong here somewhere though.
The lesson we must now learn here is check your Magnum products over good before you buy. Our local shop heard of some places doing this as a "mod" and telling the drivers that it is better that way. Then they sell the Top Gun and install it in a different radio. Thats all for now.

what to do with a radio

well u cant really sellit unless u fix it i guess . try trading it you might take a loss but u can probally trade it for a fatboy hahahahahahahaha

just advertise the radio truthfully, if the radio sounds good without the topgun distorter board i would not worry about it, i do know what you mean i like every button on my radios to do what it says on the front panel and definately no extra switches added anywhere but many radios are not like that anymore and people still buy them, good luck.

Mod

You know, the removal of this "board" or "mod"---whatever---*may* be a blessing in disguise! Fact is, MOST of the CB mods are hype, legend, CB rumor and, more so, JUNK! You might actually be better able to sell it withOUT this board than with it installed as I would bet that the radio is all the better for it!!

CWM

Butcher, I have to agree As long as you are honest to the buyer as to what happened and it is working ok without the board, I dont see any trouble as to you selling it. Just be honest and you wont have a problem..

My Delta Force has the non-volted final version of the NPC, I think they call it PPE Mod. I ran it right next to the Magnum S3 and would switch back and forth. There were about 6 base stations on the air and I was in the mobile. they ranged from 3 miles on out to 20 miles. After a side by side shootout the Delta Force with the PPE had louder Audio. Bith radio's were run with an RK-56. The Delta also drove my Magna Force 200 harder on the meter as well........strange I guess.

Bottom line is this. I think it's bullcrap that a shop of supposed quality would yank the Top Gun like that and destroy the value of the radio. Next, this Magnum S3 was doing 38-40 watts on our bench with a Bird 43P into a dummy load. No where near the claimed 51 watts I was told. It is dead on frequency and has very very good ears. I do like the dead key range settings as well. In the end I'm not sure I would pay 60 dollars for that tune. I could get the same thing done here for 45-50 and not have to ship it out. I think the Magnum line is just not Justins cup of tea so to speak. I know he can make a RCI 2970 bark, I talk to a guy every night that had F & G (Justin) tune his and it's loud as he!! and topping out around 200 watts.

For now it's back to the Delta Force with the PPE mod. Getting ready to trade the S3 for a 148FGTL DX. Later on all.

Now how can you bash Justin when you have no idea what the top gun sounded like before it was disconnected??? How did he distroy the value of the radio??? Just re connect the board if you want to. Cant be that hard. 2 wires? I can vouch for Justin and Magnum radios....He did my S-9 and it walks the walk so to speak. Just bugs me when people bitch about prices.....Dont like his prices??? Go somewhere else and get it done cheaper.....It wont be as good of a job, I'll guarantee it! You bought the radio as is.......The previous owner seemed to not have a problem with the way it was done. The Top Gun is a gimmic anyway...Why would you want to run something that sounds like crap?

It seems people do not understand what the Topgun board is and how it works. I bet the local tech does though so he can show the wattmeter swinging high. Just another day in the CB Land.

I just have two more things to add here. First, frmboybuck your not getting it here THE TOP GUN BOARD IS GONE as in no longer there to re-connect. I might not have even used it but it should at least still be inside the radio and hooked up. Thats why it has an on/off switch. And who's bitching about price, hell i'd pay him 80 bucks if it flat out kicked butt. So are you saying that the Top Gun does not work....ever....and it should be pulled from all Magnum radios because Justin says so? Is your Top Gun board still in your S9? If it's gone try and sell it here on the forum and tell people that it's been removed and see what your radio is worth.

Justin, you do good work and I still suggest your shop. the radio sounds good on the air, loud, clear, and natural voice sounding i am told. It has exellent ears and is on frequency. I am just not pleased that the Top Gun was removed, and I was expecting to see the Bird meter hit 45-50 watts. I have always been a skeptic of high wattage claimes by people and so has the tech I use. This was my chance to show him a 50 watt radio and all we got was 38-40. I don't really care as far as the numbers go, 30, 35, or 40 as long as it sounds good. For once I guess I wanted to see a radio do 50 watts that was claimed it would do. Now that I know it's not probable I can just move on and be happy.

Theirs others that pull the board. Justin is only one that here on the forum that has admitted it. If Justin says a radio did 51 watts on his Bird Meter I am sure it did. He is one of the most honest people I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.