• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How bad are stock radios untuned?

crazyhair

Jan 16, 2009
I was looking at the galaxy base 2547 but here in canada you can only buy them from radioworld.ca and durhamradio.com and neither will tune it or do anything to it.

In its stock form is the radio going to be disappointing?

The plan is to run a a99 or something with it down the road

It will most likely be ok But if you want to talk sideband it will an alignment. Will probably do 4 watts out of the box..

I assume it's a legal 40 channel radio then? If it's an Export then it won't do anything out of the box for you, needs converted and tuned. If it's a 40 channel radio then it will perform like a stock cb set that was "ballparked" in on an assembly line. You might consider a web purchase from a shop that will tune it before they ship it out to you.

I assume it's a legal 40 channel radio then? If it's an Export then it won't do anything out of the box for you, needs converted and tuned. If it's a 40 channel radio then it will perform like a stock cb set that was "ballparked" in on an assembly line. You might consider a web purchase from a shop that will tune it before they ship it out to you.

the 2547 is a 40 ch.cb.it will be ok i highly recommend putting a good power mic
on it.that alone will increase audio

the 2547 is a 40 ch.cb.it will be ok i highly recommend putting a good power mic
on it.that alone will increase audio

Really, the transmit side isn't where the benefits of a good tune are felt---it is the RECEIVER that stands to gain the most from a good alignment and tune with proper equipment. If you can't hear them, you cant work them!

Setting the deadkey and modulation is about all that needs to be done to the TX side, and the end user can do that with just a wattmeter. But to get the RX right you need a signal generator.

That Galaxy does not really need a power mic. It will sound fine with several different mics, but it will sound great with just the stock mic.

well the only online shops that will tune are in the US and I don't think it is cheap to be doing that or even legal?

well the only online shops that will tune are in the US and I don't think it is cheap to be doing that or even legal?

It is cheap, and - yes - they do it all of the time. Sparky's CB, Custom CB Shop, Copper Electronics, GI Joe's CB, Bell's CB, just to name a few of the shops that come to mind.

I just bought/recieved a radio from Sparky's CB. He unlocked the clarifier, then tuned the recieve, and peaked the modulation for swingin' output (3-23w). The unlocking of the clarifier was $25, the peak and tune was FREE, the radio was only $99.95(Ranger TR-696FD-1), plus the shipping/insurance. The total was a whopping $148! (not much at all, when one considers this radio swings 20watts over dead key, SSB, built-in freq counter, and doing the extra freqs are so simple to do - I'm doing it)

You're looking at a radio(Galaxy 2547?) that sells for $300+ shipping in the US; how many Canadian dollars is that? $350+? It's a great choice, but maybe you should buy your radio via mail from a US shop that does the tune-up for free and be happy with your purchase. I recommend Sparky's CB; they did me right.

This review below points out that this Galaxy is nothing more than a mobile radio chassis inside with bigger meters and a squeaky power supply. You could get the TR696FD-1, add a (better)power supply from Sparky's for $40, and use the rest of the money twards you coax and antenna, and mic. At least, it's someting to think about...
http://cbworldinformer.com/200107/inside_galaxy_dx_2547.htm

Last edited:
With some SSB radios they arrive from the factory needing to be aligned...others are right on the spot out of the box.

If the radio is on frequency and everything is working fine I'd just adjust the AMC inside (easy adjustment for most people, radio tuning tools definitely recommended) for desired level. It will immediately yield you more modulation and better swing. Add a good powered desk mike such as a Turner +3 and that radio will sound great. Overmodding a 2547 can make it sound really awful so I wouldn't turn everything to max, I'd adjust for the best sound on the other end.

Many shops just do all the same simple stuff you could do yourself. The good shops will actually put the radio on the correct equipment and set all components to the correct specs.

If you have service done, choose your CB shop wisely.

Thats the issue, there are none up here in northern alberta, so I'm at the mercy of ordering online and from who knows where.

Here is the deal. Shipping to Canada is really bad so do it right the first time. As far as a tune and such being legal and expensive, dude please, if your worried about that then just get off the forum now and be a mud duck. If you want to talk then order from Sparkys, Custom cb, DTB radio,or Bobs cb and be done with it.

If what you say is true, why does anyone bother with CB's, Why not just start with an export like a 959 or a rci2995 or whatever and just unlock it to 11 meter, both are illegal, one is less hassle and comes with more watts anyways....?

Last edited:
First, the 959 is not an export, it is a type-accepted, legal 40 channel AM/SSB CB radio.

Second, lots of people DO bypass the 40 channel CB in favor of an export that has been converted to 11 meters.

Third, a dealer can align your PLL, receiver section, and set the deadkey to exactly 4 watts at 100 percent modulation (16 watts pep) and that is perfectly legal.

One reason some guys like CBs better than exports is that some CB designs have better receiver design than the EPT6900 or EPT3600 based exports. The Cobra 148/Uniden Grant/Texas Ranger 296 radios are an example. The dual conversion 8719 PLL chassis in these radios has a nicer receiver than the exports do.

Now as far as that 2547 goes, it uses a board that is very similar to that used in the exports. Other than the PLL, there is not much difference between it and, say, a Galaxy 2517, which is a 6 band export base.

Radios manufactured by Ranger are notorious for being pretty far from optimally tuned as they come out of the factory. I would never run one of their radios without a good tech having gone through it and aligned and tuned it using the right equipment. I want to know that my rig is operating at the very highest level that it can. Some people are willing to settle for less than that, that is fine with me, just not the way I roll.:closedeyes:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.