• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How do I get a Yaesu 857d to do computer controlled CW?

mr_fx

Oct 8, 2011
Kansas City
Ok... So I have an 857d, and I would like to be able to operate computer controlled and decoded CW...

I have NO interest at all in sending Modulated Morse Code... using VOX... so please dont suggest this.

So how should I approach this?

What I have:

-857d
-Digital out to computer sound card cable (seems this is actually a line level audio output)
-cat cable (that is confirmed to work for 'keying' a radio)
-Ham Radio Deluxe
-FL Digi (though I have never been able to make it key a radio, it does however work for digital IF I manually key the radio(key the MIC)

Ham Radio Deluxe comes with Digital Master 780, which supports CW.

If I remember, correctly, that radio requires that you use the CW jack on the back of the radio to send CW. So, the CW port would be sent to the Soundcard output to TX. The RX part is through one of the pins on the DATA jack. Of course, you already have the CAT cable, so assuming you can control the rig through HRD, you use that for PTT.

If you don't want to homebrew the connectors for the back of the radio, the easiest approach is probably something like the Rigexpert USB interface model TTL-I-1. That is a plug and play solution that costs $100.

Last edited:
just about any type interface that can be used for SSTV/PSK/RTTY will key the rig via the COMPORT PTT (RTS/DTR).

the RASCALS are cheap, but, they do work just as well as the more expensive ones.

You need to buy/build something like a K1EL Winkey or Microham digikeyer and I would use CW Skimmer for the RX, its far superior to DM780 in HRD.

Reactions: DainBramage
well it may not matter, looks like you can not control CW using CAT, it will KEY the radio, but not produce a carrier...
I was wondering about that,..........
a CAT cable is for rig CONTROL,... freq, mode, ect.
to inject audio, you need an audio interface, not a CAT cable

The key here (no pun intended) is to use separate COM ports for rig control and digital PTT.
I use an RTSystems USB-62 for CAT/RIG Control, which shows up as COM3 in Windows Device Manager, and this is set up in the main HRD program. I use a West Mountain Radio Plug & Play RIGblaster, which shows up as COM4, and this is set up in DM-780 under Program Options>Modes + IDs>CW>Enable serial (COM) port keying, toggle pins DTR only. under Program Options>PTT>COM Port, it's also set to COM4, and RTS is selected.
This allows for the radio to be keyed when in CW mode (do not select KYR, do select BRK).
Having said all this, DM-780 does a poor job of decoding CW in my experience, which is with slow speeds like 5WPM.

I use a signal link, and MULTIPSK software, it does an excellent job , or as someone said use the jack on back of the radio....
DOCTOR/795

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.