• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

how does a FCC License work?

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
This question is intended for Amateur Radio operators.

I'm curious about a few things when applying for a vanity type call.

1. when you apply can you use any number: 0-10? Ie: w0wow, Wj8TNT...etc
2. when looking for unoccupied calls on qrzed, i noticed a few calls with GREEN works AKA next to them with another call... does that mean the aka: call is available?

i may have asked this before or im sure many others have asked, but this is soo confusing!:bdh:

Depends on what class ticket you carry, i.e. Tech, Gen. Extra. The higher class you are, the more choices (less restrictions) you have. I believe you live in "Kalifornia"?? Your in region "6" so 6 will be your number (unless, your an Extra) .
You can use K, N, or W (and/or A (if Extra class)) as your prefix. Only Extra class can have a "1X2" or a "2X1". And, I believe there's a waiting list for a lot of "available" call signs...
See these web sites for more info. I know-I know, it's confusing!!!!!
Good Luck!!!

N4MC's Vanity HQ
FCC: Wireless Services: Amateur Radio Service: Call Sign Systems: Vanity: Request Types
AE7Q's Amateur Radio Database Query Tools

As your research will bear out, about 80% of the operators requesting a vanity call in California choose a Region 6 callsign.

Why? Because those with '6' calls are usually associated with that state. IMO, most of those requesting out of region callsigns ignore the region associated with the call (or don't care), and choose it because the letters spell their name or a chosen acronym, sound like a word that people know, or may be a word in the dictionary.

:pop:

It's not just you. Talk about disappointing, I once worked a W6 on 80m AM using my little old Heath DX-60. I was elated to have worked the west coast on 80m AM with 12 watts of carrier, 50 watts with audio. then he told me he lived just outside of Boston. {Cry_river}

As your research will bear out, about 80% of the operators requesting a vanity call in California choose a Region 6 callsign.

Why? Because those with '6' calls are usually associated with that state. IMO, most of those requesting out of region callsigns ignore the region associated with the call (or don't care), and choose it because the letters spell their name or a chosen acronym, sound like a word that people know, or may be a word in the dictionary.

:pop:
I dunno 'bout that. :unsure:

some of us have "summer" homes and "winter" homes and live in 2 or more different call areas . and I'm NOT gonna change my call 2 times a year

People are grabbing up all the 2x1 and 1x2 extra calls as they come available. Not many left except a few odd calls. That and what they consider "desirable" vanity call signs regardless of the call area.

Call signs are like mobile phone numbers now. People move but they keep the same number because there are no more roaming charges if you have a top tier cell phone plan.

Reactions: 1 person
People are grabbing up all the 2x1 and 1x2 extra calls as they come available. Not many left except a few odd calls. That and what they consider "desirable" vanity call signs regardless of the call area.

Call signs are like mobile phone numbers now. People move but they keep the same number because there are no more roaming charges if you have a top tier cell phone plan.

Are you saying I can use any number ? As a tech but I can only have 2x3,2x2,1x3..... I can't have a 1x1 and such atleast not being tech

Sent from Outerspace, on the DarkSide of X.

Are you saying I can use any number ? As a tech but I can only have 2x3,2x2,1x3..... I can't have a 1x1 and such atleast not being tech

as a tech, unless you actually live in REGION 11, 12, or 13 (NOT call district) then, you will have a 1x3 or a 2x3

as a tech, unless you actually live in REGION 11, 12, or 13 (NOT call district) then, you will have a 1x3 or a 2x3

Why is there no calls with the last three letters as Q codes ?

To avoid confusion with Q-codes.

Oh ok. The other night I was stoked no one had WR6ALI World Radio Six Always Listening In. Little did I know "WR" isn't allowed . I am very sad now. I want something catchy but yet can be me.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.