• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

how important is skip

is skip important

• Total voters

bighammer

Nov 5, 2006
DC
ok guys i have to know. why is it everyone freaks out over skip, and deams it so important. to the point people get depressed when its not around?

Too many people with nothing better to do than sit around all day yakking to folks in other lands because they have bored the snot out of all the locals? :p :LOL: I wonder just how many that really applies too. ;)

Peak cycles are a lot of fun. You can talk all over the world 24hrs a day when it's really up.

It's hell if you try to use AM CB for local communications though.

I was last active in CB two cycle peaks ago and you basically had to run 100W just to make daytime use of CB within a few miles. If you're a big local talker, that can be annoying.

Having something like MURS capability is handy for this as it will be much more effective for local comms when the cycle peaks get here again.

QRN thats the motive behind my post.

i say 60% of skip junkies couldnt handle a conversation.

to each their own though. it is a free country

I love Dx and the Superbowl is were to roll.... You talk to alot of the Guys then you get to meet them at the Breaks .. Lot of good people on the radio and some bad

20 years in this hobby and I too have been through a few 11 year cycles , in the beginning it was amazing to me , talked all over the world on 5 little watts off a Wilson ground plane on lower freqs on AM , then power came into my life , now I could do it fairly easy on good old regular cb 1 thru 40 , and when I say power , it really wasn't much more then 200 peak watts at the most on any base unit I ever owned. (different strokes for different folks) durring these times of heavy skip , I was just grateful for sun up and sun down times , there was a lot of locals and our own little Peyton Place going on . (those were the days !) SSB always made the job of skip so much easier , but over the years I am what I am , an AM'er !! somethings never change.I've been through all the ego trips behind AM skip that I will ever have to go through ever again , but for AM only , it tends to be more of a challenge I suppose compared to other ways of communacation. Nowadays , this is my time for radio operations , I like long distance talking when skip is on vacation , for it will be back 9 S units in your receive day in and day out before you know it . I truly enjoy the down time where I know it truly saddens others , especially the mighty Ham radio operators of this world and I can truly understand that and why. I think for me now concerning skip in full , it has to be SSB on the freebands , it's just a better way to go and to basically talk to the same folks day in and day out on a much quieter front. Seems like my brain can't handle to much of solid AM skip anymore , it's just to damned noisey and all those cotten picken egos out there. so I guess underneath it all , I can pretty much take it or leave it. If I had to prove something by it , I did it a very very long time ago on 5 little watts. :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.