• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

how many are getting new rigs?

rfoverlord

guardian of freedom
Jun 1, 2005
daegaba system
:D :D my new IC7000 is on it's way. still have to figure out what tuner to get for it though. have a LDG 200 pro but i will be operating off agm's and solar cells when our border rotation comes up in late spring. (beats the hell out of IRAQ). will be using a homebrew cobra wire ant and possibly a home brew buddi pole set up, or what ever else i can carry. :D :D

Hey rfoverlord, Nice radio. I was thinking of getting that radio but now I'm thinking alittle bigger like the 746Pro or the TS2000. Not to sure yet. Anyway I spent three months at the Border July-Sept. I had a great time but, wish I brought my radio. As far as power cells, you might want to check this out...

http://www.powerportstore.com/amateur.htm

Good Luck. By the way, What service are you in?

:D i figure i might as well have some fun while i'm there, well i needed a mobile hf/vhf/uhf anyway. my club (ham) had a big sell on 7ah batts. so i have 4 of them. just want to get a pelican case for it. I still have a chance at getting to the Sandbox this year.(i hope not) so iv'e been in contact with the guys over there.
I posted this to see if anyone was getting a new rig in anticipation of getting their ticket or upgrading. I already have the csce for general that expires in april. signed by gordon west himself(yeah). so it will be a in/out on saturday's test session.

in the market for...

i'm looking at IC-706 MKIIG for the mobile immediately, and an IC-7000 as soon as I can swing it. I've heard some mixed reviews on the -706MKIIG, though...it might end up being a temporary for the mobile. anyone have a word on that particular topic?

as for antennas, not sure if i want to go with the default icom mobile antenna, or go with something like a hy-gain or high sierra. right now i have a 102" cb whip for cb, but i have two other open slots for antennas on my jeep (one bumper, one on the rockyroad mount), so plenty of real estate. suggestions?

KI4MSJ do not waste money on TS2000 i have friend who had 2 of them (brand new mind you) that had problems and needed to be sent to kenwood for repairs....however he does like it...but he is going to buy the IC7000..

also have another friend who had the 746 pro
he didnt like it and sold it after a few weeks
he then got the IC7000

229 i pretty much retired my 706 MKIIG (great radio) when i bought my IC7000 a year ago (a even better great radio)

Now i am trying to deside if i should make the jump to the IC7800 or just get a 756 Pro III (but i know if i do in a few mnths i likly will want to step up to the IC7800 anyways...LOL )

Thanks for the opinion. I want to get a full size radio with a built in power supply. I like the 706 for a base and love the 7000 but just looking for something a little larger with out having to take out a second mortgage to do so. That's why I was looking towards the 746pro. Anyway, I have plenty of time before I purchase so, I will will continue looking. Maybe I will sell the 706 and purchase the 7000 also.
By the way,have to seen the 7"TFT Screens for the 7000? Certainly would make reading them alot easier.

icoms, and nascar

[quote="
229 i pretty much retired my 706 MKIIG (great radio) when i bought my IC7000 a year ago (a even better great radio)"[/quote]

yeah, i have heard 4/5 good things about the 706 MKIIG...only bad things have been heat issues and some sort of power / clicking issues. however, the way i see it, it's going to be a mobile-only rig, mainly so i can do a bit of dx-ing on the commute to / from work. overall, though, i understand it's a good--and far more simple-to-operate--radio, compared with the 7000. i think the 7000 will do me well as a first base-station radio--only thing i can see it doesn't do is maybe satellite, and it's going to be awhile before i have the space to put up an antenna farm, so it's going to be awhile before i can do much in terms of sat anyway. by then i'll probably want a kenwood or something that will do 1.2GHz...
my main question on the 706MKIIG, really, is whether it can do data (PSK31) as well as voice and cw. i don't plan on getting into cw for awhile, but eventually i will itch that scratch, as well.

...whoever posted about the daytona 500: no, don't watch NASCAR...in my mind, "go fast, turn left, don't crash" is not terribly exciting. i can watch my dogs do that in my living room, and there isn't a commercial break every lap-and-a-half. (i *know* i'm going to get flamed for that...)

73's.

Just a little about the '706. I used one and did think it was a good radio. Just like any other, there are things I wasn't thrilled with, and a few I really liked. I used it primarily in the car. Also found that any 'large' changes that required a menu access was one of those 'pull over and stop' thingys. If I didn't have the manual (or 'cheat sheet') it didn't do me a lot of good to pull over anyway. That being the case, I went back to a TS-50, about as simple as it gets really.
PSK or any of the other 'digital' modes were 'do-able' with the '706 if you were close enough to a computer (just about like any half way modern radio). If I remember correctly, I did the 'inputing' through the mic-jack, same as I did with other radios. Nothing difficult, just different.
The '706 is not a bad radio at all.
- 'Doc

[Being able to do CW keying (like a keyer) with the up/down buttons on the hand mic was one of those thinks I really liked! Bit odd, but so what, so am I.]

now it comes down to which tower my club has a new universal tower 9-50 a a good friend has a 12 -40 same company both would require a new base and plates for the rotor and thrust bearing, oh the choices one has to make. :D :D :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.