• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How much does your station weigh?

I don't like to complain (bitch), but lately I keep seeing these ancient threads being pulled up. Half of the time, the original poster hasn't been on the forum for years.
Personally, I feel that if you want to revive an old thread, just start a new one. Scrolling through several years of posts just to see what's new is a waste of time.
A lot of the old revived threads are interesting, BUT scrolling through 4-5 pages is no fun, and most of the time isn't applicable today.
Sorry for the rant, but this thread is a perfect example.

I see it as a mixed blessing. It shows that a new member knows how to use the 'search' feature, looking for info on the radio he's having trouble with. Looking for someone who had a similar issue.

The other side of this coin was seen on the old Defpom forum. Scott got tired of several posts a week about "my radio won't transmit". His solution was a questionaire asking the usual tech questions like "did you try another mike?" and such.

A creative approach, but it seemed to help only a little.

My grandfather's transmitter from the early 1940s. I will be making a thread about it soon.

16457.jpeg

I don't like to complain (bitch), but lately I keep seeing these ancient threads being pulled up. Half of the time, the original poster hasn't been on the forum for years.
Personally, I feel that if you want to revive an old thread, just start a new one. Scrolling through several years of posts just to see what's new is a waste of time.
A lot of the old revived threads are interesting, BUT scrolling through 4-5 pages is no fun, and most of the time isn't applicable today.

Butt, but, buh, I'm still here!
And a perfect opportunity to thank El Capo For keeping the Wix page up!
I had an 857 drop into my life from points unknown and with all my information on dormant spindles it was a godsend. This particular example is unmolested but has all the original ills to deal with.

If nothing else the notification that there was new activity brought me back.

All my hopes

It's fairly simple to jump to newer posts without wading through all of the old ones. Plus, maybe some of the newer members and/or guests would enjoy reading the old stuff. I know I have, especially when most current threads are about "my amp blew up" or "my Cobra 29 only dead-keys 6 watts". Sometimes the old stuff is a bunch more interesting.

It's fairly simple to jump to newer posts without wading through all of the old ones. Plus, maybe some of the newer members and/or guests would enjoy reading the old stuff. I know I have, especially when most current threads are about "my amp blew up" or "my Cobra 29 only dead-keys 6 watts". Sometimes the old stuff is a bunch more interesting.
You're right. I think I over-reacted maybe huh.

I see it as a mixed blessing. It shows that a new member knows how to use the 'search' feature, looking for info on the radio he's having trouble with. Looking for someone who had a similar issue.

The other side of this coin was seen on the old Defpom forum. Scott got tired of several posts a week about "my radio won't transmit". His solution was a questionaire asking the usual tech questions like "did you try another mike?" and such.

A creative approach, but it seemed to help only a little.

Yeah but usually it is not a new member that dredges up long dead threads. there are a couple well know members that like to do that all the time and often renew it with a simple "BUMP" which adds nothing other than to bring back a long dead thread. I wanted threads to automatically lock after a length of time as other forums do but the boss said no.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
In the shipping box it weighs 77 lbs according to the label on the outside shipping box & that's just the ICOM 7700. I believe the radio weighs 66 lbs itself but I'm not sure if that includes the Big handles that I also have installed because they look COOL & they came with it. The weight of the ICOM 9100 is 24.2 lbs & the ICOM PW-1 weighs 55 lbs. I also have the ICOM 2730a control head on a flexable mount. My desk is very much overloaded I'm sure but I'm not sweating it falling apart anytime soon. I also have an ASTRON RS-70M power supply & a couple of wattmeters & other gear on the desk including The microphone booms & studio microphones & 15 of my Astatic D-104 collection(46 total in the collection so far).A rotor control box & a Kilowatt automatic antenna tuner, Of course I also have my laptop for using the WWW & several more smaller items. I use all of it except the D-104 microphones so it's all Important. The BIG Stuff is pictured here in my Bio Picture. {:>)

Clayton
W4KVW

Last edited:
Well my current setup still weighs the same but it's all Smoked due to a random Lightning Strike two weeks ago.It took out my ICOM 7700,ICOM 9100,ICOM PW-1 & my TYT TH-9000 & my Astron RS-70M power supply & several smaller power supplies,my microphone control unit,my Yaesu G-800SDX Rotor,& one of the CLEARSPEECH DSP units.My insurance company says they will cover my loss less the deductable so we will see.I am working on getting lots of pictures for them as they requested.I have another local ham friend who had the same issue about 6 months ago with the same insurance company & they paid him well & very fast.I guess I'm pretty much starting over but I will be in the market for another ICOM 7700 but I have not made up my mind with the rest of the gear.Since the PW-1 has been discontinued I am leaning towards an ACOM Solid State No Tune Amplifier though the PW-1 served me very well for 10 years before the strike.Just glad we have good insurance.I will make my final choices once the insurance check arrives & I see what they actually pay me for those items & the other items inside & outside of our home that were Fried.

• Wow
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
About 200 pounds, FT991A, IC 9700 leo bodnarised, Heathkit SB-1000, 50 amp and 30 amp PSU, tuners, FT 2000-D, FTT 847 Collins filters, and some more stuff.
Getting to old to drag it around.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.