• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How to get started

Jan 3, 2009
Hi everyone I have always had an interst in CB and ham radio was using the old CB's in the 1980's however never managed to break into the ham scene. So I would like some advice as to what would be the best way to do so, I have been on the radio society of GB site, but could someone point me into what direction for radio equiptment, simply for listening first before buying to transmit. Even mobile equiptment for a vehile if possible.

robinsonroundup,
If you are in the UK, I think you've already been to the site that will be the most use to you about amateur radio licensing. As for CB radio in the UK, I have no suggestions for your there, no idea how it's done, or the requirements in the UK (look for someone with an odd antenna on their car?).

Your options for 'just listening' are sort of dependent on what equipment is available to you, your budget, and so on. Usable equipment runs the gambit of stuff older than I am to the most modern in the market. Not just receivers, but transceivers. A very smart idea is to sort of disable the transmitter in some simple, readily repairable way. Your local radio laws are something else I know nothing about so take that with a large 'dose' of 'second opinion', someone who does know what they are talking about, you know? There are a few of you 'UK' guys on this forum, if I'm not mistaken, shouldn't take long for one of them to jump in.
None of this is meant to discourage you! Unfortunately, I'm at a loss as to what to tell you that would be any benefit. Have fun!
- 'Doc

As far as to what equipment you are looking for,it is a good idea to do your homework.

Some ham radio gear is 12 volt dc powered,antenna types depend on what band/bands you plan on running be it base or mobil.

Before I finally took the dive into ham radio,I spent a bunch of time pouring over various catalogues of ham radio equipment from dealers such as A.E.S. ,Memphis Amateur Radio,H.R.O,just to name a few that are here in the States.

There are several other companies that sell the gear as well,so it is a matter of finding a dealer close to your area to work with.

Also in most cases just ask a ham.

hi mate,
firstly, on the RSGB website, find out what is going on near your location.
you will find out where you can sit your "foundation" exam.
I strongly suggest that you purchase the foundation course study book, its only a few quid.
with regards to equipment, something like an icom 706 mk2 would be ideal for you.
general coverage hf, 6m 2m and 70cms, pick one up on ebay for around £300.
this is also ideal for mobile and dont forget once youve got your foundation licence you will have full privilages at 10w
hope this helps

seamonster,
One place you might take a look is at the ARRL web site. Another is the W5YI web site. (I'm sure there are others, I just don't know of any off hand.)
I would suggest getting a 'taste' of it first, maybe find a local club and catch a meeting or two. Sort of drop a hint about never having ever listened to real ham radio before. If you don't get at least one invitation in answer to that 'hint', something just "ain't right" somewhere :). That's also sort of a two headed coin! May turn you off the idea completely, or you may be 'addicted' immediately. There used to be several places on the internet where you could go and listen to the ham bands, tune around even. No idea if those places are still active (bet someone here might know).
Ham radio is also sort of a two ended stick. You can expect to do quite a bitof different things. You are also expected to do a couple of things too. Like learn some rules, little bit of electrical theory (mainly to keep from killing yourself), and some 'etiquette', as in you are usually treated like you treat others, that sort of thingy. Nothing 'new' about that, or unusual, you do that anytime you try something you've never done before.
There is a test. Several places to take 'practice' tests. Are those test difficult? Not really. Like anything you may not know much about, it takes a little time to understand the questions and make the right answer choice. But certainly not something the average person can't do given a little time (couple of weeks maybe?). There is a fee for the tests. Can't remember the exact amount, but it's not more than about $15, I think. A license lasts for 10 years, so less than $2 per year. I'd call that a bargain.
And then you will usually find out that this isn't exactly a 'cheap' hobby to play with. Doesn't have to be terribly expensive, but it certainly isn't 'free'. ("You want how much for a radio?"... which will almost always be cheaper than "You want how much for a bassboat?" ;))
Look around, get an idea about it and then decide for yourself. Have fun.
'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.