• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How to Save Ham Radio – Modes – Part 3 (5 Part Series)

N1IC

Mar 2, 2013
How to Save Ham Radio – Modes – Part 3 (5 Part Series)

I have been thinking and getting feedback about this series and Ham Radio overall there are several great points I have been hearing from people and I as I have said in the past… yet maybe SAVE is to strong of a word… Strengthen is a good one or expand is another… but let’s stick with SAVE for the article.

In a long list of items I think about the next one are modes of operation –

How to Save Ham Radio

Nick,
I went to the link provided and have to disagree with you about one of your opinions about the different modes. It deals with APRS and everyone having a 'gigi' at their house. I think if you want to have a digi that it's fine if you do. But, I certainly do not think they should be turned on, or used, without some very serious thought. Can you imagine the confusion if there were suddenly 100's of digi's in your city/county, all digi'ing at the same time, on the same frequency? The result would be mass confusion and almost nothing constructive happening. That's a bit of exaggeration, but not as much as you might think. Especially in emergency type situations. One of the problems in such situations is -too much- 'help'. The best action in an emergency type situation is to let the responsible party/agency know that you are available and then -wait- until you are asked to help. That's also the hardest part, right?
- 'Doc

Nick,
I went to the link provided and have to disagree with you about one of your opinions about the different modes. It deals with APRS and everyone having a 'gigi' at their house. I think if you want to have a digi that it's fine if you do. But, I certainly do not think they should be turned on, or used, without some very serious thought. Can you imagine the confusion if there were suddenly 100's of digi's in your city/county, all digi'ing at the same time, on the same frequency? The result would be mass confusion and almost nothing constructive happening. That's a bit of exaggeration, but not as much as you might think. Especially in emergency type situations. One of the problems in such situations is -too much- 'help'. The best action in an emergency type situation is to let the responsible party/agency know that you are available and then -wait- until you are asked to help. That's also the hardest part, right?
- 'Doc

Thanks Doc - I do agree that it sure could be an "overstatement" for sure. I wouldn't suspect that we would ever get that type of response on APRS... but I do agree that too many would clog up the same freq. Especially if everyone is beaconing at the same time. My biggest concern is there are quite a few "blank" areas on the map. When I drive from Tampa to JAX for example there is a pretty big dead zone on i4 from north of Orlando, through Daytona up the coast. There is also a big dead zone on my way from Tampa to Gainesville... through Ocala area there isn't much as far as APRS. I would love to see move coverage in those areas. Areas like Tampa where I live are pretty saturated so your comment is completely valid.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.