• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How to tell if it's working?

spider87

Aug 2, 2010
Ok, weird noob question... I have a mobile setup I just setup. Against the advice of people on here I didn't spend >$50 on an antenna. I am ok with having and average antenna and plan on, if I'm happy, upgrading in a few months. Now I have a mobile setup running in my car... My question though, how do I know if my transmitting is working? I have heard quite a few conversations between truckers and what not but how do I know if they can hear me if I say something? I'd hate to just butt in on a conversation with "CAN YOU HEAR ME?" but I don't know.. Is that the proper thing to do? Also, how can I check my range?

Thanks,
Alex

Ask for a "Radio Check" that will usually get a reply. Then start a small conversation and explain you just completed your installation and wanted to see how it sounds.
You can then ask whoever responds for their location or "20" to gauge performance.
Don't forget to thank them for their assistance.

Ask for a "Radio Check" that will usually get a reply. Then start a small conversation and explain you just completed your installation and wanted to see how it sounds.
You can then ask whoever responds for their location or "20" to gauge performance.
Don't forget to thank them for their assistance.

(y)(y)

pretty much what they said, i wait till no one is talking and say break channel for a radio check. always say thank you when your done.

Over and above what others have said you may find it easier breaking in between two base stations than two truckers,as they will most likely be very close together and possibly have their squelch set high,whereas base stations will be further apart with weaker signals to each other and might well have their squelchs fully open listening for dx or break calls.

Other than that good luck with your new setup,you don't need to be a big gun to have fun on cb,its more important to have something interesting to say than it is to bend the other stations needle.;)

Hey there. I remember my first cb and the fun I had when I first got a response. Depending on your area or who's on the air, you may or may not get a contact for a while. Usually base station guys will be nicer and more willing to talk to you versus truckers, they can be quite nasty sometimes.

Just say breaker "channel number" for a radio check if you hear someone talking and they most likely will reply to you. If they're mean and don't care, just try another channel, there's 40 of them. If you know your gear is working and you want to add to the conversation, just give them a breaker, introduce yourself, say what you have to say, and let them know you'd like to join in. Most CBers will welcome a new guy in the area. Just don't say anything to hear yourself talk, try to be genuinely interested in the conversation, or switch to another channel.

Courteousy helps awesomely. Try to wait for a good time to give your breaker and not when they are in feverish key after key conversation as they probably will beat you to the key and not hear you anyway.

Just remember radio is about having fun and not everyone will be nice on the air.

Good advice here so far.

Just be yourself and don't try to use a lot of "lingo" and stuff. Just say what you mean in plain language. Some of the mannerisms and terminology you will just pick up as you get to talking to other people.

Talk about your station, what you want out of it and the hobby, help out people on the road that may need info or assistance, be polite. Try to keep in mind that people might have younger children in hearing range of the radio, so be mindful of language/subject matter.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.