• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HP40W curiosity...

The Jerk

May 6, 2008
Reading, PA
So I have an HP40W I bought new and it has spent its entire life in my Silverado 2500hd. It was setup by DTB radio back in the day, so I know it was setup correctly. But it has been almost ten years since it was touched...even checked.

Now here is something I noticed over the past weekend. Talkback "on", power on "hi", I get a VERY soft backtalk through the speaker. Turn the power to "lo", and talkback is loud and clear. I don't remember this, but it's been a while since I actually used it hard (very little traffic on 19 any longer). I immediately thought it was the mic, but it only happens switching between low and high, so that rules the mic out.

I did check and it is transmitting, I can talk to my other setup. Next step will be a meter to see what I have...

10 years is quite a while of cycling from oven to freezer then factor in humidity as well. Maybe some oxidation in a switch? Solder connections, plugs, electrolytic cap? Could be anything but you won't know until you get inside to do some troubleshooting.

Ten years bounceing around in your truck is a pretty good run, the radio is probably get getting old. Take it out, clean it up with detox and give.it s try. It might just be time for a new radio.

I'd you decide not to fix it or you want to part with it I'd be interested.

I've been looking for the bottom half with Amp section for a Frankenstein project.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.