• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HR2510......Problem?

King Mudduck

FEAR THE DUCK!
May 6, 2005
285 South Western Virgina waving!
I got a very nice HR2510 to day at a ham fest for $100.00 box and all. Built in 1989 i don't think it has ever been used but if so i was very very little. The radio came from a licensed ham op and was told by him that it has not been converted. My question is that when i turned it on and played around with it ( did not key it ) i cant seem to get the radio to work the way it should. The first freq 3 numbers stay on what looks like 8 and the last 3 are the only ones that change but they also only seem to move to only the number 7 or 8. It also shows only what looks like an E or an 8 when you try to change bands. Could this be because it has not been converted? I know that you take a big chance when you buy something like this but since they are hard to find i handed him the cash. I just hope i did not get screwed.

I'm going to take it to my tech next week because i'm not even going to try and convert it myself. Even though i have found the info i need to do it i'm not going to take a chance and smoke it!

OK, Does the radio TX or RX at All?
Can you tell if it is just the display that is not working, or is it not moving in frequency?
Remove the cover, and look to see if the CPU is covered with epoxy, some of the later 2510`s had this done in an attempt to stop the conversion to freeband.
If not look at the pins on the CPU for cold solder joints, Pins number 1 thru 5 drive the display.
Pins # 12 and # 14 drive the Band switch.
If it is the VFO that is not working, Pin number 22 controls the VFO, it should have @ 5 volts on it and should go low on each click of the VFO Knob.
Pin number 48 should be at @ 5 volts as well.
There is a Dimple on one end of the CPU, that is Pin number 1( on the edge that is to the front)and from left to right it goes from #1 to # 32, then across to pin # 33, then right to left to pin # 64
Another thing to check is the Voltage Regs on the Board that holds the CPU, ( there are 2 of them 3 leg IC`s) they were glued down at the factory, but after many years the glue can become conductive or corrosive, some times you can very carefully "pop" the reg`s lose from the board, and very carefully pick the glue from the board under them, BUT BE Careful! ( make sure the radio is powered down, no power to the radio)
There are some very small traces that are sometimes get covered with the glue, and you do not want to damage them, but the glue might be shorting them out.
I would suspect the Glue/Regs, because it seems that you have multiple problems, and I doubt that all of the pins would crap out just from sitting.
Sometimes just popping the reg IC`s up from the glue will solve the problem.
If it gets much deeper than this, I would suggest you contact RogerBird, he is awesome with these radios.
This is a place to start.

Jeff

i bought a 2600 off of a forum member sometime ago and it needed converted also

i sent it up to docs.he chipswitched it and did all his little tricks to it

i couldnt be happier with the radio

doc ROCKS!!!!! and hes a SUPER nice guy to talk to on the phone

personally i wouldnt even mess with it.....id send it out right away

http://hr2510.homeip.net:2510/

scott

Rogerbird is excellent with these radios also I have one stock and one that he has worked on and it will easily out talk and hear the stock radio.

Display issue..

Typically if the radio is txing but the display is 8's, its caused by a bad capacitor on the display PCB. [probably C501 or c503)

the fact that it doesn't tx, could be unrelated to the display issue.
but, it could be a faulty regulator on the Microprocessor PCB.
The lack of tx could also be a failed cap in a different circuit, [Typically one of the 220uf caps on Ic104..C75 or C60], Of course it could be other reasons, but for an untouched barely used radio, cap failure is most likely. (old age)

I would check both regulators for 8V and 5V output. (right most leg of the 3 pin regulator)

A good tech would be able to verify +/or fix this ..

If you need any help with this drop me an email..

Roger

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.