• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HR2510 verses HR2600

70cst

Dec 4, 2009
First
Just curious if one version is better than the other? If so why?

Second
If these are tuned and aligned how do they compare to today's radios?

Thanks

well honestly for ease of modification to open up 11 meters... I would get an HR2510. When done right they are pretty similar to each other.

They can be tuned up to a solid 40 watts and they are incredible on SSB. Most people disable the factory talk back. They respond well to a decent mic. They have AM/FM/SSB/CW modes. It's a good idea to set them up for an external speaker(the internal unit is annoying)

If you get one make sure that it is working.

I have an HR2510. It's been modded over use 11 meters, has a stock final doing a clean 40 watts, no talk back and a new power plug. I am running an RCI mic w/ channel buttons and a 'studio' mic element

I also have another done the same way BUT it's running an MRF455 final and doing around 60 watts

I have 3 2510s 2 lincolns and a 2600. One of each doc has set up and is chipped. I also have a rogerbird tuned 2510 that is very well done. Chip and tune being equal the only advantage to the 2600 has is the tone board for repeaters. The 26 doesnt have a roger beep if that is important to you.

That being said the 2600s seem to newer and treated better than the 2510s I have seen. The lincolns also seem to be newer and tend to be treated better.

I view the radio as the base component to a outstanding 10/11 meter rig and 12 to some degree. Find a radio with the least miles on it spend 75 bucks and have Doc peak tune and test it. Then find a good power mic and solid antenna. You will be glad you did.

I would be leery of any of these radios you find that put out more than 35 watts unless doc or rogerbird has tuned them and you can verify they did.

If someone tries to sell you one that is chipped look at the band indicator. it should have bands 1-4. If it has alpha numeric band letters it has not been chipped.

Reactions: 1 person
The problem nowadays is finding the chipswitch. If I remember, they stopped making them and when Doc did my 2510, I got one of the last chip's that he had. Not sure if he has found some or has someone making a clone for him. I think the 2600 has to have the chipswitch to convert to 11 meters, but could be mistaken.

Reactions: Holydvr
The problem nowadays is finding the chipswitch. If I remember, they stopped making them and when Doc did my 2510, I got one of the last chip's that he had. Not sure if he has found some or has someone making a clone for him. I think the 2600 has to have the chipswitch to convert to 11 meters, but could be mistaken.

Chipswitches are no longer made and a 2600 really does need a chip. Look around and you can find chipped radios. Sometimes you have to look on Ham sites or sections of forums.

70cst, if you are a serious SSB operator, don't hesitate to get the 2510. (I have a Lincoln, and it is awesome). Very stable on sideband, and a very good receiver. I run mine with a D104 hand mic and get great reports regularly. I was seeing 50 watts out of mine, but turned it down to about 40. Works great with a TS500. :)

Oh, and AM performance is pretty decent, too.

RT307

Reactions: 1 person
I had a chipped 2510 in the mobile for about 3 years. Also have a 2600 chipped sitting up in the shack. Both awesome radios, decent on am and smoke on ssb. I ran the 2510 with a Skythumper NC mic and a TNT350hd with great success.

The reason I asked is...A while back I bought this 2510 for $50 and it is a real clean looking radio. I plan on sending it to Rogerbird for a full tune up and what ever improvement he can make. I had a Chipped 2600 but I no longer have it. This radio I am keeping. Thanks for your replies.

5Y65T25S53ka3m13ocbad4a8a182f596e101b-1.jpg

5W05P55R23nf3kc3m4bad69a03e6d02f51790-1.jpg

Reactions: WB183
Chipswitches are no longer made and a 2600 really does need a chip. Look around and you can find chipped radios. Sometimes you have to look on Ham sites or sections of forums.

You can use a UC-1201 or UC-1250 PLL In the HR 2600 to convert for 11M, I think there may be a few more that will work as well.Another option is to to swap out the crystals.

The reason I asked is...A while back I bought this 2510 for $50 and it is a real clean looking radio. I plan on sending it to Rogerbird for a full tune up and what ever improvement he can make. I had a Chipped 2600 but I no longer have it. This radio I am keeping. Thanks for your replies.

5Y65T25S53ka3m13ocbad4a8a182f596e101b-1.jpg

5W05P55R23nf3kc3m4bad69a03e6d02f51790-1.jpg

Well then in that case, let him do the full works and you'll be real happy.

Its official...its on its way to Rogerbird for a complete face lift. Maybe an amp next?

I talked to DOC about a month ago and he doesn't have any Chipswitch's. He isn't aware of any chipswitch inventory either. JFYI

If you intend to connect it to an external amp, I would suggest selling it instead, make a little profit off of it and then get yourself a ClearCom Ranger AR3500. Overall, it's a significantly better radio and has a 150 watt RF amp built in. The radio is capable of operating from 10 thru 12 meters and the modulation is beyond that of both the 2510 and 2600. Done up properly it will outperform many of the big export bases like the RCI, Galaxy, and Connex at half or less than half the cost of the big bases! I bought mine for $125 with a service manual.

Just my thoughts here.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.