• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HT Cross band repeaters

Sep 25, 2010
Are there any cross band repeating HTs currently in production?

My initial search leads me to think the last one available was the ICOM IC-W32A, which had been discontinued for several years.

Such a feature is not practical in an HT.

Even in the case of HT you mention, the cross-band repeat function is undocumented.

The reason is that a repeating function is a high-duty-cycle operation.
A handi-talkie, being a small form-factor with battery is not capable as such.

Generally a repeater (cross-band or otherwise) needs to be realatively located high in elevation, have a good antenna system, and have heatsink for long duration transmitting.

SkyRepeater
A communication method successfully demonstrated using readily available amateur
(ham) radio equipment with minor modifications, mounted on a tethered helium-filled
balloon or high-lift kite to establish ad hoc two way radio communications in remote
areas, radio dead zones and in the case of a repeater failure. Tested on both VHF and
UHF bands, one person can setup in 15 minutes. Cost is approximately $2,000.00.
Minimum wind requirement is approximately 6 mph for a kite. Maximum wind for
tethered spherical helium balloon is approximately 20 mph.

Well, there you go. As it happens, I'm going to be testing the very first commercially available helium baloon antenna. I could actually try this idea out.

Well, there you go. As it happens, I'm going to be testing the very first commercially available helium baloon antenna. I could actually try this idea out.

That sounds cool.(y) Can't wait for your review. When do you get it?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what I would do with it on an <acronym title="handitalkie">HT</acronym>, but it works.

I have used my DJ-580t up in the mountains, our camp site is above the lake, and can see the low level repeater down in the valley, you can not get into it from the lake level.....you can hear it, but can not get into it. Hand held 300 mw, on 440, up to the truck, 580t on 12 volt plug to comet mobile antenna, 1 watt down the hill on two meters/two meters back up and 440 back to the vxr5 at the lake.
Yes if you get into a long QSO the 580 will get hot.. Have to keep this in your head when using it this way.....the good thing about the 580, it is a rather large ( compared to today's HT`s) hand held and can dissipate a little more heat than the micro talkie`s. There are a some advantages to the old bulky ht`s.

Jeff

The ADI AT-600 will also cross-band. I have several of these HTs and they work good, the only down side is they will not do CTCSS decode and encode at the same time. So if you are using it to access a repeater you will not be able to set up a receive code on the cross band to limit who can access it. I think you can set up a DTMF sequence to open the receive of the cross-band though. Also they can get quite hot even on the lower power settings when operated on 12V (less so on 7.2V) and relaying both sides of the conversation, to high of a duty cycle.

Kite Supported Crossband Repeater

Are there any cross band repeating HTs currently in production?

My initial search leads me to think the last one available was the ICOM IC-W32A, which had been discontinued for several years.

Excuse me but I have put up an Icom IC-W32A HT on a COYNE-DELTA kite about 500' set to cross-band repeat mode on LOW power and successfully worked stations with another HT on the ground up to 150 miles away. The breeze at 500' is MORE than sufficient to keep the HT cool during such operations even on high power! It's fun and a REAL kick until the battery in the HT dies. I hope to do it again soon during a major band opening.
--
Tim, K8TJ
K8TJ at COMCAST dot NET
"CW FOREVER"

Reactions: 1 person
I would like to be there to watch that. A friend and I used to conjure up all kinds of ideas of using kites and balloons.

Never followed thru...

Those were big dreams and little pocketbook days.

Let me get this straight

To do just basic ht crossbanding the key is the base/mobile unit, correct? Can you about use any uhf ht and do uhf simplex to the vehicle and vehicle vhf to the repeater?

I'm not sure that I would use an HT to cross band repeat, however I have had several instances where it would have really come in handy where I was not able to set up the mobile unit. I've got a small dual band amp I picked up at a hamfest, and it pumps out about 25 watts VHF, and 15 on UHF, and this Puxing would be perfect. I wouldn't have to worry about leaving my Kenwood TM V71A in the car because I normally just put the Kenwood on the seat I dont have it mobile mounted because I take it in and use it as a base.

The Puxing can also run off a cigarette plug, so running out of HT battery wouldn't be an issue.

Also, even if you don't cross band, this Puxing is true full duplexing and you can vary the volume of the A band and B band, and hear both simultaneously seeing as how it is full duplexing, and thats a nice feature.

You can pick them up for $90 with free shipping out of California, and not have to wait for a unit from China. I'm thinking about trying one out, if I dont like it I can always sell it locally on the Swap N Shop net....

Here's a link to the Puxing on Ebay.. Looks good...

New Version Puxing PX UV973 Dual Band FM Transciever with Vox | eBay

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.