• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HUBS FOR MOONRAKERS

harsmo

Dec 12, 2011
OK, people, I have heard for a long long time that you can't get new hubs for the moonrakers. After breaking one on mine, I find that this is the truth. So here's what I am doing.... I am a machinist and mold builder, I had thought of writing a program and using my CnC to run new ones out, but after remembering there are tons of you out there that need them too, I have decieded to build a moud and run them in production. Todays plastic is pound per pound stronger than most metels and has give in it, unlike alum. I am also going to beef up the hubs, thickness wise. I am working on the Proto's now and man they look great. I have talked to Copper's and they are very interested as well. these should sell for around $20.00, whick is a lot better than $50.00 for a used one on ebay, IF YOU CAN FIND ONE! These will last years out in the weather and can be taken off and on without breakage.

Just putting a feeler out here to see if theres an intrest. Let me know what you guys think....

Gary
Unit 555
Triple Nickle
Half A Dime... Three Times...

Conductive plastic?

The "hubs" need to be conductive on a moonraker antenna, IE the plumbers dream concept.

On the other hand Hubs for a quad antenna at $20 each is a great deal, Isolate the spreader from the boom.

You may be onto something.

What size boom will this hub fit? Will it be hinged or one solid piece construction?

I think PDL-2 owners would like these too. Are you sure Moonrakers need to be conductive to the boom, reason I ask is the old PDL-2's had plastic hubs on both ends and then the later produced PDL-2's had the plastic hub on the director end metal prolly cause it was stronger than the original plastic hub. So I would think the Moonraker would work the same.

I could be wrong, just an idea.

AP

I think PDL-2 owners would like these too. Are you sure Moonrakers need to be conductive to the boom, reason I ask is the old PDL-2's had plastic hubs on both ends and then the later produced PDL-2's had the plastic hub on the director end metal prolly cause it was stronger than the original plastic hub. So I would think the Moonraker would work the same.

I could be wrong, just an idea.

AP

Moonraker is plumbers dream type yagi, all elements are conductive with the exclusion of the reflector, it uses a n metal hub but fiberglass arms for the spreaders. The MR4 has the quad type reflector so it is a Quagi per say.

The PDLII ( Great antenna by the way) is an quad type and uses a plastic hub for the driven element and a metal hub for the reflector elements, fiberglass spreaders. If I remember correctly. I think CB tricks site has the manuals for both antennas.

Moonraker is plumbers dream type yagi, all elements are conductive with the exclusion of the reflector, it uses a n metal hub but fiberglass arms for the spreaders. The MR4 has the quad type reflector so it is a Quagi per say.

The PDLII ( Great antenna by the way) is an quad type and uses a plastic hub for the driven element and a metal hub for the reflector elements, fiberglass spreaders. If I remember correctly. I think CB tricks site has the manuals for both antennas.

You are correct. The Moonraker had aluminum hubs because the elements had to be conductive from end to end. The PDL-2 was a quad design with the reflector element insulated from the spreaders and boom and the driven element insulated from the boom with a non-conductive hub. The driven quad element was fed thru what Avanti called an orbital gamma match.

All that would be necessary to make the hubs conduct is a metal strap in the hubs with set screws into the spreaders making everything mechanically in contact.
Similar to this:

AstrobeamConductorStrap.jpg

That bar is the conducting strap in the center insulator on the top of the Astrobeam. It served to keep the upper part of the element in contact with the lower part as the Astroplane portion was misaligned from normal on the beam.

I have been a machinist my whole life also. But, a injury has me disabled.
Your idea is a good one, and yes, some of the non-metal compounds is an excellent material. May I see a design print? I , for one, would be most interested.

I cracked one of my hubs and welded it, but decided to cast some spares of the original design. I've made 2 pair so far and they turned out flawlessly. They look like a brand new version of the original "MR101" hub.

Anymore development on this? I would be very interested in plastic hubs (or metal even) for making quads....! And also, yes, what diameter boom will they fit?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.