• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

"Hum" on input from radio to mixer

N0WY

Aug 11, 2010
Hey all,

I have waded into the land of dedicated audio equipment for my amateur radio equipment and am amazed by the reports I am receiving from others.

I do have one problem I have yet to work out and was wondering if anyone had any ideas...but first let me explain what I have setup, as I am sure that would be the first question asked of me.

Yaesu FT-857
LDG YT-100 Tuner
Behringer 1622FX USB Mixer
iPlus by W2IHY
Heil PR-781
Yaesu FP-1030a Power Supply

I am thinking the issue is that I do not have the power supply, tuner or radio grounded and I have heard that that could cause a hum. My issue is that I am in a 2nd story "office" in my house and running a ground that long would just turn it into another antenna.

So I am wondering what I can do to work on getting rid of the "hum".

Thanks so much,

Michael

I had a mean ground hum in my audio chain introduced by a Heil mic cable. In my case it was causing a ground loop. To solve the problem, I disconnected either the shield or ground wire from the rig side of the cable (I forgot which wire I removed but I remember it being obvious when I looked at the wiring diagram). The other thing to check is that all of the audio equipment is grounded to a common ground bus. Concentrate on the audio chain and you'll probably find the problem.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.