• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hy-Gain CLR-II

1990, look at the tubing closely and see if it is dempled about 3-4 inches from one end. I seem to recall that HyGain did that on their CLR antennas.

Hello Marconi, Good to hear from you again. I hope that the class reunion was a success. I am trying to fix-up this old CLR for my dad. He has recently had an interest in getting on 11mtrs. with me and needed a good ground plane. I looked for the dimples on the tubing and didn’t see any. I can probably just put it back in about the same spot and dial it in with my MFJ. Anyway thanks for the help and we’ll be talking to you later.

ED

Good to hear from you again Ed. Yes thank God that reunion business is over. We spent about $70,000 and had a little over 300 come to the three day event and it was great.

I have the Website on automatic now, so I don't have to look at it except when somebody calls me with a problem.

Take care.

Marconi said:
1990, look at the tubing closely and see if it is dempled about 3-4 inches from one end. I seem to recall that HyGain did that on their CLR antennas.

yes they did ...3.5 inches
and its called Taper swaged seamless aluminum tubing
hygain.JPG

A hygain was 19' 10"....A CLR 1 or 2 has a,
overall height..19 feet..6 inches.(mine has 5 4' sections) length of radials 8'.6".wind survival..80mph.

HyGain made several different CLR antennas and some had a wire wound coil on a 3/4" piece of conduit inside the base that served as the matcher and it would handle about 300-500 watts .However, you may have the one with a small mica board inside with a foil wound coil on it, and that one will not handle much output. I think the difference might be realized between the 3 ground radial version and the 4. and 1 is a CLR and one is a CLRII..

I am still waiting on a upper section on the ground radial
then i am going to put it back up...

some say you can lower it to 17' to make it a 1/2 wave
a top hat and a long radiating element create a full 5/8-wave radiator.
but where it stands now is a 5/8 wave..
Radio shack also made these to.but have no replacement parts what so ever.

Would you explain to me what you mean by;
"some say you can lower it to 17' to make it a 1/2 wave a top hat and a long radiating element create a full 5/8-wave radiator."? I've got to be missing something cuz why would you want to do that? It's a 5/8 wave to start with, isn't it?
- 'Doc

W5LZ said:
Would you explain to me what you mean by;
"some say you can lower it to 17' to make it a 1/2 wave a top hat and a long radiating element create a full 5/8-wave radiator."? I've got to be missing something cuz why would you ant to do that? It's a 5/8 wave to start with, isn't it?
- 'Doc
some say you can lower it to 17' to make it a 1/2 wave.
just stated what I been told about this..not that I would do it.lol

a top hat and a long radiating element(19'6" - 19' 10") create a full 5/8-wave radiator.
to the screw of the tophat the antenna is 19' 6" long and yes it is a 5/8 wave..
I am just posting what I have been told by many researches for months:)

some say the top hat made it 5/8 wave and some say that all it is ,is a anti static hat...one shall never know!!!

now on my starduster it dont mater where I put the static hat
but it don't change the swr but it does reduce static(I do hear this) with and without it on long distance DXing...

and,going off this

On the 27 MHz CB band;

.64 wave = about 23+ feet (BEST GAIN - about 1.5 dbd gain)
5/8 wave = about 21+ feet (VERY CLOSE SECOND BEST - about 1.2 dbd)
1/2 wave = about 17+ feet (AVERAGE - ZERO gain dbd)
1/4 wave = about 8+ feet 7 inches (BELOW AVERAGE - 1.5 dbd LOSS!)

Okay, that I understand. If you should hear the one who told you about the changing it to a 1/2 wave by lowering it, tell him/her they should patent that idea. He/she will make a fortune if they can prove it. Or maybe he/she should just get his/her prescription changed?

The biggest difference between the length of the various antennas isn't so much 'gain', but the shape of the radiation pattern. If it has a 20 dBd/i gain and isn't going in the direction you want it to, it may as well have no gain. There's no point in big 'number' if they aren't useful. (I've heard where 6" really did make a difference when talking about length, but it certainly wasn't talking about antennas - lol!)
- 'Doc

W5LZ said:
Okay, that I understand. If you should hear the one who told you about the changing it to a 1/2 wave by lowering it, tell him/her they should patent that idea. He/she will make a fortune if they can prove it. Or maybe he/she should just get his/her prescription changed?

- 'Doc

LOL, I hear ya BTW he's 80 now so you might be right...
mine is 19' 6" and thats all i need to know :p

Marconi said:
If you are right Lords' then my old Starduster is a cheater at 50'.

Yep, I did say the SD'r was at 50'. I'm impressed that you noticed that.

I don't have my SD'r up right now, but I was working a Wolf .64 with skip from everywhere north and south and some to the east into Florida all day long.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.